TP-LINK TL-WN821N V4 problems connecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-28 22:48:16
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WN821N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version : unknown

ISP :

Hello,

I bought this TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter, Model No. TL-WN821N V4
I first installed the Driver & Utility, which went fine. When the installation finished, the software automatically opened to the "Advanced" tab leaving the rest gray and unable to click.
It wanted me to select and switch to the USB Adapter, but when I did it said "Failed to switch wireless network adapter".
I googled for a solution and somewhere it suggested I uninstalled the driver and re-install it without the utility (driver only), using the windows configuration tool instead. But the problem remained the same.
I tried disabling then re-enabling the device, rebooting. When I connect/disconnect it says "No connections are available".
Also in Control Panel > Network and Internet .> Network Connections.. there's a red cross below the monitor icon which doesn't ever disappear

Other than that it says "Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter." whenever I diagnose the USB Adapter or Troubleshoot the network connection.

I am also connected through a LAN Connection, but disabling that doesn't seem to solve the problem either

Optional Information:

My Wi-fi settings

- Windows 7 x64

- IP Information
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-LINK TL-WN821N V4 problems connecting
2013-03-29 11:08:59
Try following steps:
1. Right click "My computer" and select "Manage".
2. Select "Services" in the left menu and find/enable "WLAN AutoConfig".
3. Right click on WLAN AutoConfig --> properties. Choose Startup Type into Automatic and Click on Start in Service Status --> OK.
4. Click Start -> Control Panel, Select and click Network and Sharing Center or Network and Internet-> View network status and tasks, then click Change adapter settings.
5. Select the wireless connection, right click it and select Connect/Disconnect.
6. At the right side corner, a small popup show the wireless networks. Click Refresh button to view the wireless network. Select the correct one, then double click it or click Connect.
7. If the wireless network is secured, you will be requested to enter the password to connect to it, then click OK.
Options
2014-07-24 17:18:16
Hi, I have a similar problem with the TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter, Model No. TL-WN821N V4.

I installed the Driver & Utility, which went fine. When the installation finished, the software automatically opened to the "Advanced" tab leaving the rest gray and unable to click.
It wanted me to select and switch to the USB Adapter, but when I did, it said "Failed to switch wireless network adapter".

I can still connect to the internet, using the Windows wireless connection, but the speed is limited to 1Mbps. I should get 300Mbps with this wireless adapter.

Please advise. I am using Windows XP.
Options
2014-07-25 12:46:57

lynxdream wrote

Hi, I have a similar problem with the TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter, Model No. TL-WN821N V4.

I installed the Driver & Utility, which went fine. When the installation finished, the software automatically opened to the "Advanced" tab leaving the rest gray and unable to click.
It wanted me to select and switch to the USB Adapter, but when I did, it said "Failed to switch wireless network adapter".

I can still connect to the internet, using the Windows wireless connection, but the speed is limited to 1Mbps. I should get 300Mbps with this wireless adapter.

Please advise. I am using Windows XP.

Hi lynxdream

The Utility seems to be blocked by firewall or other anti-virus software. But since you can still connect with the windows wireless manager, you should remove(uninstall) the utility.

As to the wireless speed, try:
1) Ensure your router is using WPA2-PSK encryption.
2) Try using different channels on the router.
3) Update the driver of your adapter from here, download RTL8192CU for TL-WN821N V4
http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

The adapter itself is 300Mbps doesn't mean you can always get 300Mbps actually. It is like a car running on a road, you have to drive slowly when the road is crowded. Even slower when there is obstacle in the way. Better place your computer to a place where there is less obstacles between the computer and the router.

Also, the total internet speed is provide by the ISP.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4974

Replies: 3

Related Articles