TL-WA830RE is a bad product

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-29 21:01:22
Region : Spain

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 3.13.26 Build 121008 Rel. 61364n

ISP : Telefonica

TP-Link, you should do something to solve the problems! I have used products from other vendors successfully to extend range by using Bridge+AP mode – some have been working over four years and never needed even reboot!

This time I made a mistake and bought TD-W8961ND modem router and two TL-WA830RE range extenders as I wanted to connect one ADSL line to two other buildings wireless. I like TP-Link ADSL modems as they work fine even in some demanding environments but Extenders.....!!!!!!! TP-Link should not sell TL-WA830RE at all or rewrite the firmware!

Even with one extender the system is very unstable and adding more PC clients finally blocks access to internet totally. Some Windows PC's hang when connected to the extender – MAC and Android devices work better.

With two extenders connected to the modem router, you get nowhere – well you can use the system with one PC from either extender but this is not what I want.

The extender has two modes: Ranger Extender Mode 1 and Range Extender Mode 2. The latter uses WDS – otherwise identical. If you use WDS, there is no place where you can input WDS key in the extender – it was not even intended to work! The modem/router has separate keys for WDS and clients. This means that in theory only Mode 1 is possible.

I was able to get a little better results when using WEB security key but.... 802.11n doesn't officially support WEB. WDS doesn't support officially WPA or WPA2 etc. I tried even with no security and again the results are not good.

Well, I throw two TL-WA830REs to the bin and I will never ever again touch any extender from any vendor. I had recently stability problems with Belkin extender, too, but it, however, worked most of the time. I ordered Bridge+AP products from another vendor to replace TP-Link Extenders and I know from the past that I can make them work very well.
Options
12 Reply
Re:TL-WA830RE is a bad product
2013-03-29 22:04:56
Options
2013-03-29 23:35:39

danymarc wrote

C´mon danymarc! We have faulty product in our hands and it has never worked and will not work with any desperate attempts etorbarajas tries.

TP-Link should state the problem openly here. Now many of us spend valuable time trying to find the "right" configuration. I am sure TP-Link has skills and people who can solve this issue but it may take some time. These devices are cheap and I will not bother to send them back - they will go to the garbage bin.
Options
2013-03-30 01:59:36
hot700 before they go to the garbage search DD-WRT
Options
2013-04-01 08:19:54
Actually I checked DD-WRT soon after finding the problems. TL-WA830RE is not in the database/supported probably due to the wrong chip set. I have sent mail to TP-Link support and let us see what they can do - now it is academic only question.

I solved the original problem when I was able to gather three old used Netgear DG834G modem routers during the weekend and they work just perfect together wireless. I used WDS in bridge+AP mode and even if WDS doesn't officially support WPA/WPA2 security, they work with this. The users are happy.

New devices are more complex with 300M speed and create problems when building complex wireless systems. Buffalo routers can do the job, too, actually they use DD-WRT! Old Netgear and some Buffalo routers have detachable antennas and it is important on long distances.

I hope TP-Link can solve problems as basically they have quality products - except extenders....
Options
2013-04-01 09:13:34
google tp-link 730 dd-wrt and read the forum your RE has to be Atheros WISOC based hardware
Options
2013-04-01 12:22:32
Hi Hot700.

As stated in my latest post from my thread, indeed there is something wrong with the TL-WA830RE.

We need assistance
Options
2013-07-28 22:31:04
I have the same problem. I just bought 3 of them, one for myself and 2 that I installed at my parents inlaw house. All 3 have the same problem - they work for a while, a few hours up to a day. Then they just stop working and I have to switch them off and back on. They are all set up as range extenders. The Reuters they connect to are of different types, but they all use the same encryption. It seemes that the WA830RE does not handle WPA very well. Unless TP link release a fix for this I will have to replace them with something else, and then from another munufacturer.
Options
2013-08-03 04:43:28
On 4 i posted DD-WRT on 5 Hot700 answer not in database
Before DD-WRT read a lot on their forum and wiki it is supported by model WA801NDv1
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=695273#695273
Some official firmware of TP-LINK products can be replaced by the third party firmware such as DD-WRT. TP-LINK does not provide technical support and does not guarantee the performance and stability of third party firmware. Damage to the product as a result of using third party firmware will void the product's warranty.
Options
2014-09-23 08:53:26
I had the same experience with the stock firmware on the TL-WA830RE, unstable, difficulty keeping connections and had to restart constantly. This past week I installed OpenWRT [CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r42542)] firmware on the device and configured it as a repeater using WPA2 and it has been rock solid ever since, no disconnects, transmit speeds are higher than they ever were with stock firmware. Not helpful for those who have already had issues with the device and gotten rid of it, but possibly a save for those who haven't yet disposed of it. I almost got rid of mine and am glad I gave this a try first.
Options
2014-10-18 13:59:46
It really a bad product.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1904

Replies: 12

Related Articles