USB External HDD not recognized

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-30 12:14:37
Region : Brazil

Model : TL-WR2543ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an external HDD that I regularly use in any computer I have access.

It's an HDD enclosure 2.5" 3.0 USB, with a 750GB WD HDD inside. I use it in computers with all versions of USB, even in my TV. It doens't require an external power source, and just have 01 input/output, which is a USB port.

After plugging it in the router (running with the last available firmware from TP-LINK - 3.13.27 Build 121207), I entered the setup screen of the router, and under USB Settings, pressed RESCAN, but the HDD wasn't recognized.

What happens is that when I plug it in the router, the LED in it starts blinking (in normal usage, the LED becomes red for a couple of seconds, and then becomes steadly blue, when it gets connected into a equipment). It is probably a matter of power, as if the router wasn't providing enough power to it when it's plugged.

Afterwards, I've made the following tests:

1) Used this External HDD in 3 different equipments (a notebook, a netbook and a TV), with different versions of USB ports. It was recognized and read normally in all of them.
2) I tested a pendrive with the router. After RESCAN, it was shown normally in Storage Sharing page.
3) I have downgraded the firmware to 120509 version, plugged the HDD in the router, and once again, it was an unsuccessful try.

What I can conclude from those tests is that:

1) My External HDD is working normally;
2) The router's USB port is working properly;
3) So, if both are working, it can only be a matter of compatibility between them.

That said, I come here to ask you how can I get my external drive recognized. If it's a matter of power, it will probably be solved with a firmware update, I imagine, since the HDD is powered only by its USB port.

I hope to hear from you,

Regards.
Options
2 Reply
Re:USB External HDD not recognized
2013-04-01 15:15:17
How much power does your HDD need? It is said that the TL-WR2543ND can supply 500MA power to the USB port.If it is the power supply causing the problem, i do not think the firmware can solve the problem. Maybe you can double check with TP-LINK official support to see if it is the compatible issue.
Options
Re:USB External HDD not recognized
2013-04-01 16:10:11
I don't know exactly what are its power requirements. What I do know is what I've told before, that it runs normally when it's plugged into other devices around the house, including 2 that probably have the earliest versions of USB ports, with probably the 500mA limit and no fancy features that are available for USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

In the end, what I did was to take if off the 2.5" enclosure and put into a 3.5" enclosure, which is externally powered.

Next step will find a reliable power adapter to one usb hub I owe (because the current one can hardly deliver power to 2 ports), to get the HDD back to its 2.5" enclosure, maintaining portability, but still sharing it to my network.

The sad part of all this story is that write/read speeds completely sucks, when you share a NTFS HDD connected via USB to the router. At least reading speed is enough to play videos.

I hope my NAS arrive asap.

Cheers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1435

Replies: 2

Related Articles