major speed problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

major speed problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
major speed problem
major speed problem
2013-04-15 16:22:38
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V7

Firmware Version : 3.12.5 Build 100929 Rel.57776n

ISP : cable company

yesterday i joined a very high speed connection service through the cable company in my country and i supposed to be having a download rate of 100 mbs.
without connecting the router i do have it (while connecting a laptop straight to the cables' internet box ) but when i connect the router i get 30 mbs in the good case and 8 in the worse.
what is limiting my speed and how do i change that?
Options
4 Reply
Re:major speed problem
2013-04-15 20:46:15

niro0070 wrote

Region : Others

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V7

Firmware Version : 3.12.5 Build 100929 Rel.57776n

ISP : cable company

yesterday i joined a very high speed connection service through the cable company in my country and i supposed to be having a download rate of 100 mbs.
without connecting the router i do have it (while connecting a laptop straight to the cables' internet box ) but when i connect the router i get 30 mbs in the good case and 8 in the worse.
what is limiting my speed and how do i change that?

When you connect through the router are you connecting wirelessly or through the routers LAN ports?

The LAN ports are standard 10/100Mbps ports which means in reality no more than 80Mbps at best, still more than your 30Mbps of course but other factors come into play.

If wirelessly connecting, what mode are you using? go to the "Wireless settings" page of the web GUI check if b, g, mixed or n-only. If your device supports n and you don't need to connect "g" devices select n-only.

Also check the max Tx speed is set to 300Mbs

Additionally check that in the "Advanced" tab of Wireless settings Enable WMM is checked.

Seeing as your speed is variable is it likely that you are in a "busy" Wifi environment - ie interference from other routers causing speed drops?

I assume you have enabled security too so that no-one is piggy-backing on your connection?
Options
2013-04-15 20:57:10
actually everything i said was refering to a wired connection.
first thing i wanted to set the speed stratight with the wires and then go to the wireless connection which will obviously be a bit slower.

as a matter of fact security in the router is disabled. and i did everything you said. speed still average at 20-30.
it seems that the only problem is the router itself limiting the speed....anything else i can try?
Options
2013-04-16 17:27:21
Your firmware is a little old, maybe you can upgrade it first...
Options
2013-04-17 05:57:50
You also need to find out if your ISP is using Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA) or Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE).

By default the router is set with an MTU Size (in bytes) of 1500 in the Network / WAN setting (this figure is for PPPaA).

If you are using a PPPoE DSL modem, then lower down this figure to 1492 as this will increase your internet speed
Options