TL-WA830RE appears to turn off Wi-Fi security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-04-26 18:53:37
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA830RE

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

I have a BT Home Hub and have used the TL-WA830RE as a range extender. Twice recently when I have looked at signal strength on my mobile using Wifi Analyzer it shows the signal from the TL-WA830RE as an open network. My mobile (Android HTC) then shows two networks with the same name one secure and one open. This is in settings, Wireless & networks, Wi-Fi settings.

So it looks as though the TL-WA830RE is turning off the security. I can reset it by plugging the TL-WA830RE into my PC and resetting the security configuration. I then see two secure networs on Wifi Analyzer and the phone settings just see one secure network.

Can anyone advise on why this is happening?

As an aside the BT hub and the TL-WA830RE are both configured to the same channel, is this the right thing to do?

Many thanks

Jonathan
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WA830RE appears to turn off Wi-Fi security
2013-04-27 16:21:17
It seems that you haven't set up range extender successfully because it needs same security information with your BT router.

Refer to the following link to configure range extender: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=357
Options
2013-04-27 22:01:51
Thank you for this. I had taken the recommended options of automatic for the version and encryption of WPA. I shall try it with the recommendations in your link.

Do you have any comments on the channel question that I raised?

Regards

Jonathan
Options
2013-04-28 15:29:44
yes, the channel should be the same with your main router as security type.
Options
2013-04-28 18:30:19
Thanks

Jonathan
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 4