Unable to install drivers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-04-26 22:47:07
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WDN4800

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi, I've only recently bought this adapter and until now it has worked perfectly. I had a problem with a corrupted windows system32 file and had to do a fresh windows install. Everything was updated using original drivers from the original cd's after the fresh install. Everything on the machine was reinstalled and the original drives were formatted to start everything from scratch.

When I've tried to install the drivers for this adapter I get the windows info popup saying 'This driver may not have installed correctly' so I uninstalled, reinstalled and then got the same message. I then downloaded the driver from this site and tried to install it again and still experienced the same problem.

I had a look in device manager and enabled all hidden devices using command prompt to find it. curiously it doesn't show as a TP-Link device and is labelled simply as: 'Network Controller' in the 'Other Devices' column instead of the 'Network Adapters' column (presumably because no driver installed yet).
It is definitely this device as I've found it as the device plugged into the PCI slot I have it installed in. I then tried to find out further information using HWiNFO64, which is just a hardware scanning freeware and this is the information:
Network Card: Atheros Communications AR5008 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0023&SUBSYS_3071168C&REV_01

I have tried it in my other PCI slot with the same problems, I don't know why HWiNFO64 has recognized it as an Atheros card (possibly a failure of the program as opposed to some change to the hardware) I just thought I'd include it in case it helps. Any and all help is welcome, I'm revising for my exams at the moment and rely on my computer, so I'll thank you for any help A.S.A.P.
Thanks in advance,
Nasir.

P.S. I have taken screenshots of everything I've tried and can send them to you if you need them, sorry there was no upload section here, let me know and I'll send A.S.A.P.
P.P.S. I have Kaspersky installed and have already tried disabling it before installing the driver with no success.

EDIT: Having tested the adapter it seems that the problem is a windows problem. My linux boot has no problem using the wireless card; when I view the properties of the device in device manager, the details seem to be wrong. I have this same adapter installed on another computer and know that certain details of this adapter are for some reason on this computer incorrect. Although I don't know how to fix it yet, I'm guessing that windows is assigning the wrong details to this device and therefore the drivers cannot be matched to the device.
Some solutions I've tried are: Resetting CMOS, deleting the device from device manager and rebooting (it comes back, but with the incorrect information again). Please someone help me :( there aren't normally very many computer problems that stump me, but I don't even know what to try next.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Unable to install drivers
2013-05-08 10:48:49
take a long time to read it...
in a word, it seems you haven't installed the driver successfully.
firstly, go to the link to download the driver. http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WDN4800&version=V1#tbl_a
then, refer to the link to install it manually. http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=180
Options