How to reboot the router on schedule

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-06 18:11:33
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.4 Build 110429 Rel.36959n

ISP :

I have a flaky internet connection, and it drops every few days. I've thus far powercycled my router by unplugging and plugging it back in, which fixes the issue.

I'm traveling soon, and would like to be able to have access to my stuff remotely, even after the connection drops.

I have two ideas:

[*]Run a script in Windows 7 which would soft reboot the modem - free, not sure if soft reboot is enough though. If that doesn't work,
[*]Get a hardware which would powercycle the router - haven't researched if these are readily available and cheap

Is there a way to schedule a soft reboot of my router using Windows system tools? I'd schedule it to reboot every night.

Any other ideas are of course welcome!
Options
16 Reply
Re:How to reboot the router on schedule
2013-05-06 20:24:35

Major wrote

Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.4 Build 110429 Rel.36959n

ISP :

I have a flaky internet connection, and it drops every few days. I've thus far powercycled my router by unplugging and plugging it back in, which fixes the issue.

I'm traveling soon, and would like to be able to have access to my stuff remotely, even after the connection drops.

I have two ideas:

[*]Run a script in Windows 7 which would soft reboot the modem - free, not sure if soft reboot is enough though. If that doesn't work,
[*]Get a hardware which would powercycle the router - haven't researched if these are readily available and cheap

Is there a way to schedule a soft reboot of my router using Windows system tools? I'd schedule it to reboot every night.

Any other ideas are of course welcome!

This is a very good idea and I'd love to have the scheduled reboot implemented in the graphical user interface. Unfortunately the TP-LINK firmware doesn't offer this feature yet.

The easiest way to schedule a router reboot would be to buy an electrical timer to do the job... Or if you want to do it through the router, then I think you should consider using Gargoyle firmware ou OpenWrt firmware for your router as they both enable scheduled reboot
Options
2013-05-07 15:15:51
Thanks!

I found a program called Winrouter Restarter, which is supposed to do scheduled restarting. It doesn't, work, though. It sends a command to the router, I believe using CLI. Not sure if my router accepts CLI commands - perhaps that's the issue? The command is "reboot", is there another command to do that?

I'll check out the custom firmware. I'm a bit afraid to try something which might brick my router.
Options
2013-05-07 16:14:35
As far as I am aware, there is no CLI possibility with the current sock firmware... Eventually buy an electrical timer as an easy solution.

If you try a different firmware such as OpenWRT there is indeed a risk to brick your router ... but unless TP-LINK include this feature in a near future (which isn't likely) you need to consider the alternatives and eventually take some risk as OpenWRT or OpenDDR alternative firmware are open source, and the community is more reactive...
Options
2013-05-08 10:59:32

Major wrote

[*]Run a script in Windows 7 which would soft reboot the modem - free, not sure if soft reboot is enough though.

You can record an Autohotkey macro to:
- open web browser
- click on system tools --> reboot
- click on the reboot button
- wait a minute or two before closing the browser window
(Take care not to move or resize the browser window after you've recorded, since it needs the same X,Y positions for the mouse clicks. Probably easier if you maximize the window first.)

Then, use Windows' Task Scheduler to run the macro once a day.
Options
2013-05-08 20:24:40
Options
2013-05-14 16:50:15
So my router stopped working. I tried restarting the router via my browser to test it, but I couldn't access http://192.168.1.1/ I had to unplug to get the router to start working again.

Would Gargoyle firmware allow a scheduled reboot even if there's no communication between my router and my PC? Is there a way to test if the firmware-started reset recovers my internet connection before committing to flashing the firmware?

I'm quite concerned about bricking my router if Gargoyle doesn't work - they recommend installing the latest, non-stable build, on their website since the stable builds are lacking some important features. That's not very encouraging...
Options
2013-05-14 19:54:46

Major wrote

So my router stopped working. I tried restarting the router via my browser to test it, but I couldn't access http://192.168.1.1/ I had to unplug to get the router to start working again.

Would Gargoyle firmware allow a scheduled reboot even if there's no communication between my router and my PC? Is there a way to test if the firmware-started reset recovers my internet connection before committing to flashing the firmware?

I'm quite concerned about bricking my router if Gargoyle doesn't work - they recommend installing the latest, non-stable build, on their website since the stable builds are lacking some important features. That's not very encouraging...

We all feel the same with the official firmware.
With Gargoyle, do not require a restart, because it is very stable.
But if you need to reboot, you can do
Options
2013-05-14 20:30:41

Major wrote

I installed Gargoyle 1.5.9 (Thanks jorgecorazondeleo for all the advice and guidance) and my WR-1043 been running without any sort of problem for a month. With the stock firmware it never made it beyond 27 hours. As far as auto-reboot I read somewhere on the Gargoyle message board a technique to implement it by modifying the 'crontab' file. I've been out of Unix and the programming world for too long to bother with it, luckily enough I didn't require an automatic reboot with Gargoyle.
Options
2013-05-15 18:11:01

avryw wrote

I installed Gargoyle 1.5.9 (Thanks jorgecorazondeleo for all the advice and guidance) and my WR-1043 been running without any sort of problem for a month. With the stock firmware it never made it beyond 27 hours. As far as auto-reboot I read somewhere on the Gargoyle message board a technique to implement it by modifying the 'crontab' file. I've been out of Unix and the programming world for too long to bother with it, luckily enough I didn't require an automatic reboot with Gargoyle.

I installed Gargoyle 1.4.7 (Stable) yesterday on WR1043. Running smoother than ever. I was completely flabbergasted by the many "standard" functions in this firmware. Much more functionality and better than the TP-Link firmware! Hooray for Gargoyle!
Gargoyle has a function called "scheduled reboot" which allows you to automatically reboot the router on a given schedule.
Options
2015-10-07 04:48:41
[FONT=arial]Digging and digging, finally you have the hole![/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Here is how it works, forgot my lasts comments. Just need to use same url as referer then will work again [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Using cURL:
curl -L --user admin:admin http://192.168.1.1/userRpm/SysRebootRpm.htm?Reboot=Reboot --referer "http://192.168.1.1/userRpm/SysRebootRpm.htm/"
[/FONT]

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8363

Replies: 16

Related Articles