TL-WR740N in switch & wifi only mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-07-12 14:31:48
Region : Others

Model : TL-WR740N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version : 3.12.11 Build 120320 Rel.51047n

ISP : None

Hi there,

I'm having problems using the above mentioned router in switch only mode, meaning: I have a Thomson ST780 delivered by my ISP to which I've connected the TP Link - ethernet port of TP to ethernet port of Thomson. I'd like to use the TP only as a switch with an address (and disabled DHCP) in the same subnet as Thomson (Thomson has 192.168.1.1 and is the DHCP server, TP has 192.168.1.2 address). Also, the Wifi on TP is configured along the same lines as on Thomson (same SSID, pass, authentication, different channel) to extend my Wifi network. The thing is, the connection between Thomson and TP Link is inconsistent - when I try to ping TP Link from one of the computers connected to Thomson end of the LAN, it starts pinging and after only a few replies it goes down with "request time out". Then you cancel the ping, wait a while, try again and it does the same thing. As if the TP Link can't work only like a switch... I tested the cable connecting two floors/two routers, it's a straight through cable and the cable tester says it's just fine. I've also tried connecting the TP to Thomson via WAN port and followed the instructions in the manual and everything works flawlessly configured like that but... I don't want to use that type of connection because my Panasonic TV (connected to TP with an ethernet cable) can't access media server located one floor below and connected to the Thomson router - because two devices aren't in the same subnet. TV's software just isn't that advanced, the media server has to be in the same subnet as TV.
I can provide more configuration info but I have most of the bells & whistles things on TP disabled because I really only need it to be an ethernet & Wifi switch. So, any help and info is appreciated 'cause this is driving me nuts :-)

p.s. I went through all of the WR740N threads I see around here but I haven't found a problem like this... pardon me if someone already posted the same issue as this.

Thanx,

Sasha
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WR740N in switch & wifi only mode
2013-07-13 10:40:28
How do you define the connection between Thomson and TP Link is inconsistent?
How about this:
PC A is connected to Thompson router by an ethernet cable and PC B is connected to TL-WR740N by cable as well (the TL-WR740N is used as a wifi switch in your case). Do you get a consistent connection when you ping PC B on PC A?
Options
Re:TL-WR740N in switch & wifi only mode
2013-07-13 16:31:36

Matthew cook wrote

How do you define the connection between Thomson and TP Link is inconsistent?
How about this:
PC A is connected to Thompson router by an ethernet cable and PC B is connected to TL-WR740N by cable as well (the TL-WR740N is used as a wifi switch in your case). Do you get a consistent connection when you ping PC B on PC A?

Connected to TP LInk by cable is only the TV; my Mac and phones are using WiFi. I usually test from my pc connected to Thomson and I'll ping 192.168.1.2 (the address of TP Link). That's when the ping reply is inconsistent; I'll get a couple of replies and then "request timed out". I'll access the web interface of TP Link and it'll only work for a while, then it becomes unavailable.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2110

Replies: 2

Related Articles