wdr3500 problem with usb external hard drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-05-13 19:52:35
Region : Others

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

wdr3500 problem with usb external hard drive when I try to transfer files from computer to usb on the router it'll work for small files like MP3. But files like MKV where they can be 1-2gb will cause a disconnect and fail to transfer the file. The whole drive would disconnect and windows will give an I/O error.

Wondering what I can do to fix this or will there be a firmware update?

Thanks.
Options
8 Reply
Re:wdr3500 problem with usb external hard drive
2013-05-14 02:25:22
Hello,

I have the same problem with my WDR4900.
It's impossible to write properly files on my flash disk.
Like you, my stick is disconnected and sometime corrupted.

I'm quite sure that the developers use the same crappy code, it's a shame...
Options
2013-05-14 13:01:33
Ah, unfortunate to hear it! I thought my device was broken was going for warranty...

Any admins here that can address this problem? Without the ability to actually transfer any files to and from the network drive makes this a USELESS feature?!

My hard drive is only 200gb.
Options
2013-05-14 19:11:24
I reported this issue to the support team but I only got : "sorry I can’t reproduce it"...

Anyway, even when reproducing, the developers don't fix anything...

My next router will probably be an Asus...
Options
2013-05-14 22:48:45
HiSpeed,

I have 'solved' the problem! The problem is the fact that the usb on the router is low powered so that it barely has enough current to power our hard drives. Therefore, when it is sending files intensively to the hard drive the drive would stop for a moment, thus creating the error you see. If you have a large enough usb pen drive you may try transferring the files to there. It worked fine for me. So I think I'll try to pick up a y usb connection to provide power to my hdd. Hopefully it'll work out!
Options
2013-05-14 23:07:02
I don't know if it's a power problem, but I tested several USB flash disks without success.
I can read files without trouble but as soon as I try to write it's sometime good sometime not.
In all cases, the USB ports are not reliable and further more the media server is a big shit... :rolleyes:
Options
2013-05-14 23:19:02
Ah icic. For me it never works. Maybe your device is faulty. Just to clarify when you say flash DISKS is it hard drives? I tested with flash drives so NO moving parts. Just a small usb pen drive. In any case, it seems to work for me :( I wish you luck. Though I'll report back once I try the y connections....
Options
2013-05-15 00:29:55
Yes sorry, I meant USB flash drives, which work perfectly with all my PC's under Windows.

As I have also some troubles with my old TP-Link router (WR1043ND), I'm quite sure the USB ports management is crappy.

I'm really disappointed and tired by TP-Link and their bad bug fixing, consequently, sooner or later, I'll replace my main router by an Asus...
Options
2013-05-15 18:56:46
Yeah not the best quality ports, but now that I've bought a Y-usb cable, I am able to transfer my 1-2gb mkv no problems...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 769

Replies: 8

Related Articles