TP-Link doesn't support mDNS? Just bought a whole setup (EAP, Controller, Smart Switch. Router)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link doesn't support mDNS? Just bought a whole setup (EAP, Controller, Smart Switch. Router)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-27 02:16:27
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1

I'm doing some research and this is what I keep seeing. Is this correct? If so why wouldn't these modern day devices provide mDNS options? I just bought all this equipment to secure my home network to isolate my IoT and Guest network from my main network using vlans. If I cannot use my IoT devices (Chromecast) from my main vlan while it's on the IoT vlan is defeats the purpose of what I'm doing. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-Link doesn't support mDNS? Just bought a whole setup (EAP, Controller, Smart Switch. Router)
2021-09-27 13:42:41

You are correct that it doesn't have a mDNS reflector to bridge mDNS between VLANS.  It does support mDNS, but just not between Vlans.

Options
Re:TP-Link doesn't support mDNS? Just bought a whole setup (EAP, Controller, Smart Switch. Router)
2021-09-27 15:47:24

@mackworth I've heard rumors that they will be updating their hardware to have this included. However those are messages from over 5+ months ago. Have you heard anything like this? 

Options
2021-09-27 17:06:39

@Chad711 I don't have any better information for you other than to say that they are supposed to release a new version of the controller software soon, version 5, and it seems like a major version update would be a good place to add a feature like that.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1613

Replies: 3