Does my AC1900 need an external modem to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-27 07:20:17 - last edited 2021-09-28 11:09:44
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I have set up my new router but could not find the iSP settings so I have connected it to the old router/modem. Does the Archer A8 have a built in modem? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Does my AC1900 need an external modem to work-Solution
2021-09-27 13:09:05 - last edited 2021-09-28 11:09:44

@wattij 

Archer A8 doesn't have a built-in modem. It's a wireless router.

If your ISP gave you a dedicated modem router probably you're using xDSL or fiber optic service and you need that device before the A8.

A8 supports these type of WAN port connections:

If you still have doubts about that, just call your ISP and ask them to be sure of that.

Further, if you can't avoid using their modem router, you can ask them if they can set their device in bridge mode.

Thus you can receive your public IP address on your A8 WAN port, avoid the double NAT in your LAN and control port opening from A8.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Does my AC1900 need an external modem to work-Solution
2021-09-27 13:09:05 - last edited 2021-09-28 11:09:44

@wattij 

Archer A8 doesn't have a built-in modem. It's a wireless router.

If your ISP gave you a dedicated modem router probably you're using xDSL or fiber optic service and you need that device before the A8.

A8 supports these type of WAN port connections:

If you still have doubts about that, just call your ISP and ask them to be sure of that.

Further, if you can't avoid using their modem router, you can ask them if they can set their device in bridge mode.

Thus you can receive your public IP address on your A8 WAN port, avoid the double NAT in your LAN and control port opening from A8.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 635

Replies: 1