Issues with VPN over 5g, works fine at 2.4ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-06 06:21:28
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20190403 rel.63869(4555)

Hello, 

I am facing a very strange problem since I changed my router at home. I need to use Cisco VPN client to connect to my office and I have had no issues before. 

With my new router (archer C9 v5.1) I can connect only using the 2.4ghz band, the 5ghz band does not seem to agree with the company VPN ...

Note 1: the IT admin at my office said that nothing has changed on their end  

Note 2: I can connect without any issues if using the 2.4ghz band on the same router

Note 3: I used to be able to connect on 5ghz with my previous router (again TP-LINK, but older).

All these make me believe it might be something with the router itself, can you help me here? 

Regards,

Spasov

Options
3 Reply
Re:Issues with VPN over 5g, works fine at 2.4ghz
2021-10-06 13:33:23

@ISpasov 

There's no particular reason for that. Both bands are bridged with device's LAN ports.

The only difference between wireless bands could be the wireless security settings:

Use these for both bands and test again to see if any difference.

If that doesn't help try disabling the DoS protection and test again:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-10-06 14:35:16

@terziyski , thanks! 

Both bands are "AUTO" in my setup .. and DoS would not be different for 2.4 vs 5, would it? 

I know that VPNs work on a level that should not in any way or form be influenced by the bandwidth of my wireless, but ... the router is the only different thing in the setup from last week and now :(

Sigh, I will disable the DoS and try again ...

Unfortunately I would need to stay on Auto as I have old devices that do not understand AES :) 

Options
2021-10-06 15:30:44

@ISpasov 

You're right, the DoS protection should be the same for both bands - it was just a shot in the dark, cause that behavior is strange.

If your old router wireless security settings were both on Auto (because of your older devices) and it worked, then that shouldn't be an issue too.

Have you tested to build the VPN through a cable connection ?

I really can't think of anything else.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options