Two access points in same house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-09 12:11:19 - last edited 2021-11-12 10:32:14
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is it ok to use two TL-WA1201 in same home and which mode should i use to just have one SSID across whole house.

Settings in each one is what i am asking.

Thanks

Vk

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Two access points in same house-Solution
2021-10-09 13:49:21 - last edited 2021-11-12 10:32:14

@Vk8366 

Yes, you can.

Both devices in AP mode.

LAN settings:

IP address: Smart IP (DHCP)

DHCP: Auto

You can make a DHCP address reservation on your main router to have their IP addresses permanent.

For AP1:

For AP2:

Wireless settings for AP1&AP2 2.4GHz band:

Wireless settings for AP1&AP2 5GHz band:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Two access points in same house-Solution
2021-10-09 13:49:21 - last edited 2021-11-12 10:32:14

@Vk8366 

Yes, you can.

Both devices in AP mode.

LAN settings:

IP address: Smart IP (DHCP)

DHCP: Auto

You can make a DHCP address reservation on your main router to have their IP addresses permanent.

For AP1:

For AP2:

Wireless settings for AP1&AP2 2.4GHz band:

Wireless settings for AP1&AP2 5GHz band:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Two access points in same house
2021-10-11 03:03:19

@Vk8366 

Thanks for the feedback. I have one more question.

The main router is a TPlink 1600V which I am using the default SSID for its Wifis but because it is very poor for coverage, I wanted these extrav 2x APs as the main ones. 

Should I use the same SSID on the APs as the main router wifi or should the APs have a different one?

OR

To avoid confusing each other maybe I have to turn off the main routers Wifi if I have 2 other APs in the house with the same name?

Just want a smooth roaming if possible.

Right now I have 3 separate wifi networks with 2 mesh repeaters and I think I may be creating problems with too many wifi networks.

Options
Re:Two access points in same house
2021-10-11 08:07:22 - last edited 2021-10-11 08:08:28

@Vk8366 

It depends on your infrastructure (devices location and the size of your home).

If you can cover the entire home with the two APs, then turn off the main router Wi-Fi, thus avoiding wireless interference between them.

Having the same SSIDs on the two APs (and the router) is fine, but you can name them differently if you want.

That way you'll always know which one you're connected to - this could help in potential troubleshooting (if needed).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6301

Replies: 3

Related Articles