Do hackers need to connect to the router to be able to spoof the dns?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-17 02:36:54
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256(5553)

Do hackers need to be able to connect to the router to do a dns spoofing attack and does mac filtering protect you against it if they can't connect to the router. For example the router is updated and all security features are enabled such as wpa3, spi firewall, dos attack filtering, ip mac binding, AP isolation and remote administration is disabled so they can't bypass the security of the login page of the router. And access control white list enabled so no users except the ones white listed is allowed to connect. Does a hacker need to connect to the router to be able to use a program to spoof the dns?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Do hackers need to connect to the router to be able to spoof the dns?
2021-10-17 14:34:12

@Johnsmith2 

It seems that you've already engaged all the security mechanisms of the router to protect yourself.

Here's a detailed explanation of the DNS spoofing attack - it's not related with connecting to your router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-10-17 15:50:04

@terziyski 

So, there are no any programs that can spoof the dns? I know there are programs that can spoof the arp but i don't know about dns. Are there programs that can spoof the dns? and if someone does connect to my router and use a dns spoofing program if there is one will my dns get spoofed if it isn't secured? I hope all my questions are answered so others would know also.

Options
2021-10-17 16:59:03 - last edited 2021-10-19 18:59:28

@Johnsmith2 

Well, the other aspect of protection is to whom you're providing an access to your wireless network.

In that case a person with an access to your router can pose a threat in many different ways (e.g. with malicious software installed on their devices).

Here's an example what Insider threat is.

On this link the mechanism of DNS spoofing is explained with some examples - https://www.jigsawacademy.com/blogs/cyber-security/dns-spoofing/

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-10-18 00:16:41

@terziyski 

Alright thank you for a detailed answer now i know how it is possible for a dns to get spoofed and how to protect against it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 766

Replies: 4

Related Articles