Votes

mDNS repeater across VLANS

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread mDNS Service. Please vote on the main thread.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

mDNS repeater across VLANS

This repeated request has been merged into the main thread mDNS Service. Please vote on the main thread.
This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
20 Reply
Re:mDNS repeater across VLANS
2022-03-05 17:01:43 - last edited 2022-03-05 17:03:35

If I only knew about the lack of this feature (mDNS) before, I had invested a lot of $$$ in the whole stack of Omada devices :( 

TP-Link, this should be a base feature! 

Options
2022-06-02 22:05:48

@tekneon +1

Options
2022-07-06 08:25:40

@tekneon 

Hello, 

whats about the L2+ jetstream Switch like TL-SG3428 ?

Do you also plan to use the function with the switch?

My problem is i can't put IOT Devices and the Bridge in another VLAN/Network as the Apple HomeKit Device.

Apple uses mDNS/Bonjour Protocol a Link Local Mutlicast Adres 224.0.0.251.

Other brand uses multicast reflect from vlan to vlan to solve this problem.

Options
2022-07-06 09:16:14

@nurix 

I didn't wait for TP-Link to implement the mDNS repeater and  finally used https://github.com/alsmith/multicast-relay running on a raspberry pi with virtual network interface to the desired vlans. This multicast-relay is also able to relay sonos UDP discovery which is not using mDNS. It is also capable to relay broadcast on custom ports which could be usefull for edge cases.

This should help you to make it all work between vlans.

Options
2022-07-06 13:57:22

@tekneon 

hi thank you for the information.

I have also running a raspberry pi in my network.

Can you tell me in which vlan/network your raspi is running? In the same vlan where also the iot devices are?

My network is like thie 

VLAN 30 | 192.168.30.1 - wireless and wired devices (iphone, homepod) for Homekit

VLAN 40 | 192.168.40.1 - the raspi with homebridge and all the IOT devices

When i'm in the same network VLAN40 the homekit is working

but when i change to the vlan 30 with my iphone the homekit can't reach the devices.

So i will try your example

Options
2022-07-06 14:44:59

@nurix It is kind of in all the VLAN i need the broadcast to be relayed to. In your case, you want two network interface, one for the VLAN 30 and on for the VLAN 40.

Lets say that your raspberry pi is currently wired (interface eth0) to your switch and the switch is configured to route the untagged traffic to the VLAN 40.

You need to create a virtual network interface tagged to the VLAN 30 (interface eth0.30) and configure your switch to allow tagged traffic for the VLAN 30.

Then run the multicast-relay and specifying the interface eth0 and eth0.30

You could also create 2 virtual interface for both vlans for clarity purpose if you prefer.

Options
2022-07-06 19:01:16

@tekneon 

hi, thanks for the thoughts.

i do my best to try it ;)

I have found also this one maybe you have more experience in this stuff

https://github.com/monstrenyatko/docker-mdns-repeater

Options
2022-07-06 20:53:24

@nurix I don't know this particular one but have found others. The one I gave you convicend me because it was capable of handling more than only the mDNS multicast (such as SONOS or custom ports). But if you only need mDSN you can use the one you want.

Have fun ;)

Options
Re:mDNS repeater across VLANS-Solution
2022-07-26 07:52:29 - last edited 2022-07-26 07:52:34

Hi All,

FYI, the mDNS repeater will be added on Controller v5.6, probably released on October this year.

I'll update this thread on the same topic once there is more new information came up.

Thanks for your attention and great patience!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-15 23:53:07

@Fae so the last update states the mDNS repeater. Will that work across VLans ?

Options