WiFi 5 Add-on to WiFi 6 Network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-25 16:11:08

Hello,

I had recently bought a 2-pack of the Deco X20 and they are both set up and working perfectly. However, I will need one more WiFi node in my network as the current coverage is not sufficient. So I was looking at buying one more Deco M4. From what I have figured out, Decos are cross-compatible and so any kind of Deco can be added to a pre-existing deco mesh network.

Onto the point, I was wondering if the roaming between a WiFi 5 (Deco M4) and WiFi 6 (X20) node would actually be seamless? For example, would a WiFi 6 device like the iPhone 11 switch access points from the M4 to X20 as fast as it would from the X20 to another X20? Would it know any difference? I want a fluid experience, and I don't mind shelling out more for the X20, provided that it's really required.

Thanks in advance!

Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi 5 Add-on to WiFi 6 Network?
2021-10-25 18:48:32

@Divit 

There are good reasons for you to stay with X20, and to buy another X20 as add-on. 

If you recently bought Deco X20, you should expect them to last at least 5 years. A lot could change in these 5 years. For example:

1. Even if someone absolutely guarantees you that any mobile device today will seamlessly roam between M4 and X20, there is no guarantee new smartphone, laptop, tablet, etc. you buy 2-3 years from now can.

2. It is possible that few years from now there may be mobile device no longer supporting WiFi5. If you will buy one of those, they won't roam from X20 to M4.

3. You'll get better support from TP-Link if you stay on same hardware. TP-Link releases firmware updates, and you may have seen on this forum people ask for features such as whitelist, WPA3, DOH. Some of these may come in new releases. Enabling some of new features may require all Deco units in the mesh upgraded with new firmware.

It is possible that in a few years M4 will be deemed "End of Life/End of Sale" and firmware with new features won't be released for it. X20 is newer line of Deco devices and it should be getting firmware upgrades for longer. Which means, in the future, with M4 in your Deco mesh, you might not be able to use some of new features which came with the latest X20 firmware upgrade.

Options
Re:WiFi 5 Add-on to WiFi 6 Network?
2021-10-26 02:53:59

@Alexandre. Alright, I'll look into buying an X20 then, if only to futureproof my network. Thanks for your help :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 2

Related Articles