X20 setup with CPL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X20 setup with CPL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
X20 setup with CPL
X20 setup with CPL
2021-10-26 12:37:22
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I did setup my indoor wifi with 3 decos X20 and everything is running fine! I want now to setup another X20 in my patio wood cabine. I can use CPL to link the inside and outside. What should be the setup on X20 in the patio cabine? 

Thank you

Options
5 Reply
Re:X20 setup with CPL
2021-10-26 15:44:58 - last edited 2021-10-26 15:46:16

@JoeTheFrenchy 

"CPL" you mentioned, does this mean powerline adapter? If it does, do you have specific brand and model that you plan to use?

Assuming it is powerline, how familiar are you with powerline adapters technology, its requirements and limitations: A) never used them before; B) used powerline adapters before and aware how to properly deploy them, test their performance, etc.?

X20 in the patio cabine will be connected to powerline adapter by Ethernet cable, obviously, but what do you plan to connect to second powerline adapter, which will be in the house: Ethernet cable from the networking switch, Ethernet cable linking powerline adapter to in house X20? What options do you have and what are your preferences?

Do you run your Deco mesh in Access Point mode or in Router mode?

Options
2021-10-31 05:52:30

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre, thank you for the reply.

All my X20 are setup in AP. My idea was to connect the patio one to the main deco using 2 powerline adapters (TP Link Brand) in AP mode also. I am trying to avoid another SSID for the patio. the X20 patio is used to stream music and to connect outdoors light (Philips HUE).

Thank you

Options
2021-10-31 11:53:25 - last edited 2021-10-31 15:54:24

@JoeTheFrenchy 

You should be able to achieve that. Deco X20 on patio will be able to connect through powerline adapter to your home network and establish link to the rest of Deco mesh. No configuration changes are necessary in Deco mesh for that. If this is new X20, add it to existent Deco mesh while it is in house just like regular Satellite Deco addition. 

Take Deco X20 to patio and connect through powerline adapter. X20 successfully connected through powerline adapter will report Ethernet connection in Deco app, under its Signal Source. Example:

There are caveats and considerations you should be aware of, I will list them below.

You will need pair of powerline adapters, one will be in the house and another in patio. Because you run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, you have flexibility in how to connect in house powerline adapter to your home network. You can connect it by Ethernet cable to Main Deco Ethernet port, or to one of Satellite Deco Ethernet ports, or to networking switch, or even directly to Ethernet port of ISP Router. 

What important is to have both powerline adapters on the same circuit breaker. You will need to find place for in house powerline adapter where it is connected to electric outlet on same circuit breaker as patio, and where you can connect that adapter by Ethernet cable to home network.

First, configure pair of powerline adapters to talk to each other, following manufacturer instructions. You can do that with both connected to electric outlets in the house. Verify they have established connection to each other, by connecting one of them to you home network, and wired device such as laptop or desktop, with Ethernet card, to second adapter. If wired device has Internet connection, your powerline adapters setup is working. Next, instead of laptop/desktop, connect X20 to that second adapter. If X20 reports Ethernet connection, adapters are compatible with Deco.

You can now move them to their permanent place.

You should expect to see powerline connection speeds at about 100mpbs. Even with powerline adapters rated at gigabit or above, don't get your expectations too high. If you can get faster speeds on powerline link, it is great, but 100mbps is good enough. Devices connected to patio X20 won't get faster Internet speeds than powerline connection speed between adapters.

100mpbs is more than enough for music streaming, and even for 4K streaming on 1-2 devices.

Not every powerline adapter is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul protocols. Choosing TP-Link brand is a good idea. Avoid powerline adapters that have more than one Ethernet port, for some reason those with single Ethernet ports are more likely to support Deco. You may need to return adapters if you can't make them work with Deco, so get them from place with return policy.

I have pair of powerline adapters I tested my Deco with and mine do work with Deco. These have been in my house for few years, not the latest model, but you can still find them for purchase on the Internet. It is ZyXEL PLA5215. If TP-Link brand adapters do not work for you, try these or similar but newer model.

Options
2021-11-01 07:31:46

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre, thank you so much for your reply. I do appreciate. I am going to setup this deco in the next following days.

Enjoy your week

Joseph

Options
2021-11-01 07:31:50

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre, thank you so much for your reply. I do appreciate. I am going to setup this deco in the next following days.

Enjoy your week

Joseph

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 640

Replies: 5

Related Articles