Printer Connectivity over Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-26 14:41:44 - last edited 2021-11-01 01:18:19
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just installed one of these for a home business network to allow better coverage; router buried in network rack in a far corner. Problem I'm having is that none of the wireless devices can no longer find the network printer.

Map is as such:

Modem >   Switch  > EAP245

> Printer

> Other wired devices

Wifi service on the router has been switched off to force all wireless devices to find only the EAP245.

Please help. I'm in no particular hurry, just very inconvenient to print from only wired network devices.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Printer Connectivity over Wifi-Solution
2021-10-30 02:02:25 - last edited 2021-11-01 01:18:19

@Philbert 

You're on right track. After looking at the SSID, the primary network had guest network enabled. Once I disabled it, I could print from all the wireless devices. I assume guest network isolates all clients, which is exactly what I wanted on the guest SSID.

Thank you all for your input.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Printer Connectivity over Wifi
2021-10-26 17:21:35

@CoolFX 

Hey

Im guessing you have got the Printer connected to the WiFi ok?   What model of printer is this?    Are you able to connect to the printer via the IP address?

Options
2021-10-28 22:00:02

@Philbert 

Hey Philbert,

The printer is a Brother MFC7200, its connected to the network via ethernet. If I use the Wifi option on it (which does work), it is rather laggy.

Prior to the access point, the wifi was generated through the modem/router and fed a 24 port gigabit swtich. Everything worked flawlessly. Anyone connected to the primary network, either ethernet or wifi (not the guest network) had access to the printer.

Not sure how to dig myself out of this hole.

Options
2021-10-29 03:06:03

@CoolFX 

If you use the WiFi from the router, to print wirelessly, it is fast and responsive?

While switching it off, use EAP's WiFi, it is laggy?

I am thinking WiFi will take some time to respond. I am not sure how laggy is that. 

wifi is not as responsive as Ethernet. 

Options
2021-10-29 21:39:05

@CoolFX 

When setting up your EAP did you select any options to isolate clients or such?   Had a few others tick that box and it will kill the printing.

Are you getting a valid IP on the printer and can you ping the IP from the client?     This is a strange one, post a picture of your SSID setup if you can and see if anything jumps at us.

Options
2021-10-30 01:52:07
The wifi from the router was laggy because of it location (in a metal server rack in the far corner of the hosue) Couldn't even ping the printer when switched to the EAP wifi.
Options
2021-10-30 01:58:02
Hey. Glad you got sorted! Yeah metal racks (and glass too) totally kills WiFi signals and best avoided if possible.
Options
Re:Printer Connectivity over Wifi-Solution
2021-10-30 02:02:25 - last edited 2021-11-01 01:18:19

@Philbert 

You're on right track. After looking at the SSID, the primary network had guest network enabled. Once I disabled it, I could print from all the wireless devices. I assume guest network isolates all clients, which is exactly what I wanted on the guest SSID.

Thank you all for your input.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 873

Replies: 7

Related Articles