Brand new RE450 from Amazon UK not OneMesh compatible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-28 22:15:45
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I recently replaced a failing Netgear R7000 with an AX1800 and am quite happy with it.  However, as part of my house has never had a particularly strong wi-fi signal and the AX1800 supports OneMesh I decided to buy an RE450 to have seamless wi-fi around the house without the need for different SSIDs.

The brand-new RE450 arrived and I set it up, but I found that it is the V3 hardware instead of the V4 and therefore not compatible with OneMesh.  I've installed the latest firmware for the V3, but this doesn't change anything as it seems the V4 is a different hardware revision.

I'm extremely disappointed that the older model is still being sold on Amazon, with no indication of the hardware revision.  Is there anything that can be done?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Brand new RE450 from Amazon UK not OneMesh compatible
2021-10-29 11:53:59

@aclee 

Here are the OneMesh compatible REs.

There are three options:

1. Return the RE450 (if possible) and search for HW v4 if you're keen to build a OneMesh network.

2. Use the RE with your AX1800 without building OneMesh.

3. Choose a different OneMesh compatible RE from the list above.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-10-29 12:27:36

@terziyski 

Thanks for the reply.  I understand the options, but I'm surprised that the older hardware revision is still being sold as new through Amazon.  In fact I can't see anywhere that specifically lists the hardware revision in their listings.

Options
2021-10-29 12:40:51 - last edited 2021-11-10 05:20:02

@aclee 

That's a global phenomenon - the retailer can still have a stock of the older HW version - you couldn't have known that.

Usually the online retailers don't mention the HW version in their listings. I believe this info is printed on the product box though.

In general when ordering the device I would count on the buyer's feedback for the HW version (if provided in their feedback) or even better buy that in person from a local store.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 349

Replies: 3