Deco M5 slow WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 slow WiFi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 slow WiFi speeds
Deco M5 slow WiFi speeds
2021-10-31 18:38:35 - last edited 2021-10-31 18:42:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi, I recently bought a Deco M5 for my bedroom (just one) because I live in an multi-floor appartement with terrible speeds WiFi-speeds upstairs. The modem is one floor lower than my bedroom. I know one deco isn't ideal but it's what I have now and in terms of good connection it works just fine. I plan on buying a second deco for downstairs in the future, so my modem Wi_fi won't have to be used anymore.
I plugged the Deco into the ethernet outlet in the wall (which is connected to the modem downstairs) and the app gives me speed readings of 850Mbps down and 50Mbps up. This is fine for me since my internet subscription with my provider is 1000Mbps down and 50Mbps up and the Deco isn't listed for speeds higher than 850Mbps on the 5Ghz channel anyway.

When I Speedtest my devices right next to my Deco however they're only giving me results of 365Mbps down and 50Mbps up. This is more than a 50% loss and seems not normal to me? I use new devices like an iPhone 13 Pro and a MacBook Pro M1. These should have no trouble handling higher speeds, right? 

QoS should be disabled so this shouldn't be the issue either. Any ideas?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 slow WiFi speeds
2021-10-31 21:14:41

@Andriesc 

When you run "Test Internet Speed" from inside Deco app, what it measures is wired link connectivity between Main Deco and Internet. Not WiFi speeds. If you have gigabit Internet, it is not surprising to see 850-950Mbps reported by that test.

Deco M5 won't deliver you WiFi speeds much better than 500Mbps, and that in ideal conditions with no WiFi interference from other WiFi networks. This is limitation of WiFi5 technology multiplied by sacrifices of compact M5 design.

In real life tests expect to see 400-450Mbps. If there is a lot of WiFi interference from other WiFi networks, which is usually the case for apartment buildings, you'll see even slower speeds.

I'll give you recommendations on how to squeeze few more Mbps from M5, but iPhone 13 Pro and a MacBook Pro M1 you mentioned support WiFi6. To get substantially higher speeds you should return M5 and get Deco X20 instead. Deco X20 supports WiFi6.

Recommendations:

1. Turn off WiFi 2.4GHz in Main Network to force your devices always use faster and less congested WiFi 5Ghz. 

2. If your "modem" has WiFi, it means it is modem/router combo. You run Deco M5 in its default Router mode, but with ISP modem/router combo you don't have to. Change Deco Operating Mode to Access Point and you will remove all unnecessary router overhead from Deco M5, improving its performance.

Note that these recommendations are valid for Deco X20, too. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 1

Related Articles