Slow speed on Archer AX20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-01 22:13:15
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20210521 rel.72481(5553)

Hi guys,

I have set up my AX20 (v1.2) for a while and it's been alright, but recently I checked the WiFi speed and it turned out to be very slow. I have attached a screenshot of the speed test from my ISP's website when AX20 was running in router mode. The best I can get is around 200 Mbps Modem-to-device download speed, and I've seen low ones around 80 Mbps. Speedtest by Ookla reported about 450 Mbps and Fast reported about 300 Mbps. I have tested it in both router mode and AP mode. The Modem-to-device download speed is about the same, but the Modem-to-device upload speed is faster in AP mode (87 Mbps). I am currently using router mode as I have onemesh devices.

I am using a Home Hub 3000 modem (and as a router), and it is connected to AX20 using a CAT6 cable. I did all tests on my PC which has WiFi6, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't much load during the tests. I also followed the other thread on AX50 (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/257504) but I didn't have QoS and parental control turned on at all. I have tried QoS without prioritizing any device but the speed was about the same.

Any help will be appreciated! 

Thank you,

Phil 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Slow speed on Archer AX20
2021-11-02 13:00:51 - last edited 2021-11-02 13:02:27

@sssphil 

Make sure QoS and Parental Control are disabled.

When your PC is connected with an ethernet cable to the AX20  what is your speed ? Is it OK ?

Observe the negotiated speed of AX20 ethernet ports (to HH3000 and to your PC):

If the speed is fine then maybe you're experiencing wireless interference between HH300 and AX20 - try turning off the HH3000 wi-fi and test again connected through AX20 wi-fi.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-02 15:15:11

@terziyski 

Thanks for the reply! I turned off QoS and parental control has always been off. And then I did a few speed tests with another CAT6 cable connecting my PC to AX20 directly (WiFi disconnected). Ookla and Fast both tested above 900 Mbps, and Bell's results range between 790-950 Mbps. I later pulled out the cable and tested it with Wi-Fi, and the speeds are slow again (about 200 Mbps).

I guess I am having some interference on AX20. But I'm not sure if it is the two routers as my AX20 is on the 2nd floor while HH3000 is in the basement. Maybe it's my neighbors' Bell WiFi signal? But my PC is pretty close to my AX20, like 3 meters away. 

Options
2021-11-02 20:03:59

@sssphil 

How many Wi-Fi6 clients do you use at the same time ?

Check the wireless interference around you with this software - https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

If your PC is 3 meters away from AX20 that shouldn't be a problem.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-02 21:47:15

@terziyski

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I have many Wi-Fi 6 devices. Maybe about two or three in total, but I do have quite a few smart plugs/light bulbs and google assistants. Could that be a problem? I tried Signifi Agent and it says my signal is good with signal quality 99% (-51 dBm).

In the router's wireless settings, OFDMA and TWT are disabled and Smart Connect is enabled. In additional settings, I have only WMM checked. I have no idea what those mean.

I just tested the speed again with Wi-Fi and CAT6 cable, and the results were still quite different and Wi-Fi on AX20 is surprisingly disappointing. 

Options
2021-11-02 22:51:41

@sssphil 

Can you test with OFDMA and TWT enabled and Smart Connect disabled to see if that makes any difference.

Options
2021-11-03 00:55:13

@terziyski 

Thanks again for your reply! I did what you mentioned and tested the speed, and the results were similar to the very beginning (Bell less than 200 Mbps, Ookla around 450 Mbps). I also switched back and tested it, and it became slightly slower but much better than the afternoon. I totally don't know why it was super slow this afternoon (and why it's still slower than expected).

Options
2021-11-03 01:14:52

@sssphil 

The other thing you could do is to set 5GHz band's Channel Width to 80Mhz and test again (this can be set when Smart Connect is disabled):

Options
2021-11-03 02:20:36

@terziyski 

There isn't much difference in the speed tests.. I'm giving up for now. But thanks a lot for helping me!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2169

Replies: 8

Related Articles