Witch deco for main deco & router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-11 07:12:03
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

1 Gb/s net and heavy usage: 5 people, 3 floor, home office, and lots of wired and wireless devices.

Now we have 6 Deco M4 and 3 tplink switch (main: TL-SG1016DE, and 2 slave: TL-SG108E) - all connected with 1Gbs utp.

At the start we have an Asus rt-n18u router (Cortex A9 800Mhz, 256MB Ram).

So, the question is, witch deco have stronger hardware witch worth it for replacing the asus router? to be a main router and main deco.

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Witch deco for main deco & router?
2021-11-11 16:26:13

@ZolaBA 

I know I am not answering your question, but in your setup it would make sense to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, with Asus rt-n18u managing the network. 

I can't tell why Asus rt-n18u router won't be able to handle gigabit wired network traffic. Are you unhappy with that router for any reason?

Also, you do run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, right?

Options
2021-11-11 17:32:15

@Alexandre. Thank you for answering!

So, yes. Now Decos just run as access points, and the asus makes the routing jobs (nat, dhcp, etc. - except AP funkcion). 

Unhappy? absolutly not, everything is fine! Maybe i just want better - if it possible :) 

Options
2021-11-12 01:55:46

@ZolaBA 

I have similar network setup: I kept my ISP router, with its WiFi off, and run Deco in Access Point mode. I do like Deco as a WiFi mesh, but if you read this forum you'll see that not everyone likes Deco as a router.

If you are still willing to replace your Asus router, run test with Deco units you already have. Change your Deco mesh to Router mode with M4 as Main Deco. Chances are, M4 will handle Ethernet gigabit traffic just fine. 

From models that support WiFi5 and similar in functionality to M4 you have, the most powerful is M9Plus. I have one of those and it is my Main Deco. I like it, but its compact design could make heat dissipation a problem. My M9Plus is quite warm even on light usage, it may get hot or too hot on the network with heavy load, which could impact Main Deco performance.

If you want something more capable, check X20 or X60. Yet, these units support WiFi6 and rest of your home network does not. That might create a situation with WiFi6 capable mobile device(s) not roaming properly from X20 to the rest of your Deco mesh. Not saying it will happen, but it might.

By the way, you may have to redo your home network if you switch Deco mesh to Router mode, and specifically in your case where every Satellite Deco unit is wired. Review this document to see what limitations you'll be facing with wiring Satellite Deco for mesh in Router mode: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 834

Replies: 3

Related Articles