Force forget wifi on clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-20 07:21:53
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

Hi! Is there any way to force clients to forget my wifi? My kids friends are connected to my main wifi but I have now set up a guest wifi that I want all non family to be connected to. I experimented by removed my own phone from the main wifi by turning of the wifi on the phone and then removed the client from deco app. But when I turn on the wifi on my phone again it automatically gets connected to the main wifi. I guess it will kinda work if I blacklist all the clients, but then the blacklist will be clotted up.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Force forget wifi on clients
2021-11-20 13:44:21 - last edited 2021-11-20 13:44:59

@ChrisAhlund 

Don't bother with blacklist: smart kids with modern mobile devices can connect to your WiFi with randomly generated MAC addresses, making blacklist useless.

The only option you have is to change password on Main Deco network. Choose strong one, and don't share it with anyone in your household. You will have to update password on all your mobile devices in household by yourself. 

There are ways to figure what the WiFi password is on device connected to Main network, but hopefully your kids will just share Guest network SSID and password with their friends. Explain to your kids that sharing Main network with their friends could badly impact your kids Internet experience, and that might be enough of incentive for them not to figure what Main network password is.

Options
Re:Force forget wifi on clients
2021-11-20 14:14:31

@Alexandre. Damn it, didn't think about the random MAC address... I hoped there would be another option besides changing the password since I've got a lot of smart devices that I don't want to reconfigure again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 469

Replies: 2

Related Articles