How to automatically switch between WIFI router and extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-20 20:14:33

Hi, I have the TP-Link AC1200 (RE315) extender set up upstairs to extend my WIFI connection from internet router (which is downstairs).

I want my phone and other wireless devices to connect automatically to the stronger signal, ie. to the router when I'm downstairs, and to the extender when upstairs.

However this does not automatically switch between the two, and most of the time I realise e.g. I'm upstairs but I'm still connected to the router (and vice versa) so I have to manually change this myself. This is very inconvenient having to do this all the time.

Is it possible for this to automatically switch without me having to set the same SSID (because I want to know which one I'm connected to, and not get confused).

Also, I know this is not a single device/mobile issue because I have multiple and they don't automatically switch to the stronger signal.

Thanks and appreciate any answers.

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to automatically switch between WIFI router and extender?
2021-11-27 15:03:22 - last edited 2021-11-27 15:07:03

@MrMK  Well I think if your device supports OneMesh technology it would be quite possible, but if not I would advise you to buy a router / repeater or both with OneMesh support to create this unique mesh network, or if you can invest in one Deco mesh device kit that will fit perfectly.  I don't recommend using the same SSID, because without mesh technology this exchange doesn't work the way you want.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4725

Replies: 1

Related Articles