Split WIFI with Tenants?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Split WIFI with Tenants?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Split WIFI with Tenants?
Split WIFI with Tenants?
2021-11-22 12:41:22
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi

We just moved in to a house with 500/500 Fiber. It's only one connection to the house. The house itself is quite large, and on the oposite side of where the internettcable enters the house, we have an apartment in the basement. 

Is it possible to set up Deco in a way where we have one nettwork, and they can use the same routers, but with a different nettwork? I would also need to be able to set up that their nettwork maximum can use up to a certain speed. 

I see the X60 comes with a Guest network option. Is this something I can use for this? Am I looking at this from the wrong angle? :)

I'm not very familiar with mesh networks or their setup, so please bear with me :p 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Split WIFI with Tenants?
2021-11-22 16:38:48 - last edited 2021-11-23 16:22:42

@Hebla 

Guest network is not the feature of mesh system. Many modern standalone WiFi routers offer Guest network. It is used exactly how you think it would: for guests to connect to. They can have access to Internet, but not to your home network.

Deco provides that feature, too.

It works better if you keep Deco mesh running in Router mode (which is its default mode) and you set password for Guest network (when you enable it, by default it is without password).

Current X60 firmware does not support bandwidth throttling, it will come in the future with firmware 1.6. With that firmware, you'll have "schedule and bandwidth limit to guest network under Deco App > More > Wi-Fi > Guest Network. Note: This feature is ONLY supported when the Deco with the firmware 1.6.0 installed is set as the Main Deco."

There is no ETA for that firmware for X60. You may have to manage till then. An option would be to configure Guest network to only run on 2.4GHz (disable 5GHz on Guest network). That might not throttle devices on guest network as much as you want to, but would somewhat limit single bandwidth hungry device.

I am also assuming you have unlimited Internet, having metered would be really unwise in your case.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 245

Replies: 1

Related Articles