Cannot connect to re 305 via Ubuntu 20.04

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-27 18:07:44 - last edited 2023-08-09 18:21:53
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

I own a tp-link RE 305 (AC 1200) as a WiFi range extender.

My laptop is a dual boot computer with both Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 installed.

I set the device according to the instructions and it seems to work fine from my phone and from Windows, yet I could not manage to connect to the range extender via Ubuntu.

I tried the suggestions presented here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1243314/ubuntu-20-04-wifi-tplink-extender-issue 

yet, it does not seem to help.

Currently, I can connect directly to the router via Ubuntu and can see the range extender as an option in the WiFi settings, but I cannot connect to it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Edit:

I recently gave it another shot after a while and found a solution!

Hopefully, it will be useful for someone.

After restarting the WiFi extender (unplugging and then plugging it back in), it seemed to connect successfully but only until I the connection was lost (for example by a restart to the NetworkManager). I was able to reproduce this behavior several times.

Setting a static IP (and mask and default gateway and DNS hosts) made it work consistently.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to re 305 via Ubuntu 20.04
2021-11-30 14:00:32 - last edited 2021-11-30 14:00:44

Hello @UbuntuUser123 

• May I know the model of Wi-Fi adapter used on Ubuntu, it is recommended to update driver for it.
  • Please confirm extender is the on the latest firmware 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re305/ 

• If Ubuntu has worked fine with extender before, try to remove the old WiFi profile and reconnect to WiFi, here is guide found online for reference: https://ask.eng.umd.edu/page.php?id=108844

If the same issue persist, can you help confirm some case details here to sort this out: 

1. the security type of range extender showing on the connected devices ( Click on Wi-Fi on mobile devices or check Wi-Fi properties on Windows )

2. a photo of the error message if Ubuntu fails to connect to extender

3. the model of router 

Thank you

Options
2021-12-05 23:11:32

Hi @Solla-topee

- My Wi-Fi adapter is Intel Wireless-AC 9462. I tried updating the driver for it and it does not seem to help.

- The extender is on the latest firmware.

1. The security type of range extender showing on the connected devices is WPA2-PSK.

2.I cannot see the error in the gui, I tried connecting via nmcli and the returned error is:

Error: Connection activation failed: (5) IP configuration could not be reserved (no available address, timeout, etc.).

3. My router model is HOTBox 4.

Thanks in advance

Options
2021-12-07 13:32:41 - last edited 2023-08-09 18:04:43

Hello @UbuntuUser123 

Thank you very much for more case details, further troubleshooting related to Ubuntu is beyond my knowledge. You may start a thread on Linux forum and see if you could get some help. At the same time, I would like to escalate your case through email and see our engineers has any suggestion for you, kindly check your inbox later.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 855

Replies: 3