Newbie question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Newbie question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Newbie question
Newbie question
2021-11-27 20:29:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V10
Firmware Version: ??

Hi,

Apologies for probably a very basic question. We have 3 Deco discs on every floor in the house. If I'm on the middle floor on my laptop, should I be connecting to the Deco, to the main router on the ground floor or both? I'm looking for optimum wifi performance in a solid house with thick walls

Many Thanks

Glenn

Options
5 Reply
Re:Newbie question
2021-11-28 01:26:36 - last edited 2021-11-28 01:27:04

@GlennLDN 

Can you rephrase your question? Perhaps, give more details about what concerns you or what seem to be the problem. 

Laptop, just like any other WiFi device, will always be connected to just one WiFi node (Deco disk), not to two or more simultaneously. In theory, it should choose the node with the strongest signal, and when you move laptop around the house it should seamlessly reconnect to the WiFi node that provides strongest WiFi signal where laptop currently is.

Options
2021-11-28 08:58:35

@Alexandre. Thanks, my question was which Wifi connection should I be choosing to connect TV's and devices to. I presuming it would be the Deco one rather than my current router listed under "My Networks" below.

Equally for my mobile phone, should I be connected to Deco to ensure best reception as I move around the floors where the deco disks are located? ( main router on ground floor)

Many Thanks

Options
2021-11-28 12:46:53

@GlennLDN 

Thanks for clarifying.

It is recommended to turn off main router's WiFi after Deco mesh is deployed. If you follow that recommendation (and you should), the answer becomes obvious: you must connect your laptop to the Deco WiFi. You will have no choice.

Options
2021-11-28 15:02:05

@Alexandre. Thanks Again. It appears that this might not be viable for me as my router is connected to my TV satellite box. Turning Wifi off from router appears to then impact  satellite Tv despite being connected via ethernet cable. 

I'll try to work it out but there must be an easy solution as the use of satellite Tv and Decos together must be so common

Options
2021-11-28 16:23:52

@GlennLDN 

If you have to run WiFi on router, make it with different SSID than Deco WiFi and have everything else connected to Deco WiFi. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 853

Replies: 5

Related Articles