TPLink Re650 and Netgear 7000P seem to clash when using the same SSID for range extending

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TPLink Re650 and Netgear 7000P seem to clash when using the same SSID for range extending

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-02 01:42:06
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

It seems to me that the r7000P and the Re650 Wi-Fi's (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) clash a bit when using the same SSID ( RE650 in repeater mode). 

After a short while the WIFI clients will drop from the R7000P and from the RE650. It will take a fair while for anything to return to service and then it crashes again.

As a workaround I've had to change the SSID on the RE650  and add the _EXT to the end of the SSID but I was really hoping that I could use this as a seamless network with the same SSID names. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:TPLink Re650 and Netgear 7000P seem to clash when using the same SSID for range extending
2021-12-02 09:27:04 - last edited 2021-12-02 09:29:03

Hello @JoeJoeInc 

1. For 'After a short while the WIFI clients will drop from the R7000P and from the RE650'

Please double-check if that happens with happens when RE use a different SSID or if any Leds goes off on extender at that time.:

If it is unstable issue, you could try to troubleshoot as guide here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272398

2. When Range extender uses the same SSID as the main router, devices normally could roam between different APs, but it's not a 'seamless' process.  Most nowadays mobile clients  supports Wi-Fi roaming, that means they could remember the credentials and roam to a different AP when signal is not strong enough.   When device roam from router to extender, there will be a short disconnection normally within a few secs. Is this the issue you mentioned? 

If you want to build a seamless  mesh, you will need a more professional mesh system like TP-Link OneMesh(*onemesh router required) or Deco Mesh. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 251

Replies: 1

Related Articles