USB port on TPLink WDR 3600 to share printer on Win7 x64 Ultimate

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

USB port on TPLink WDR 3600 to share printer on Win7 x64 Ultimate

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:USB port on TPLink WDR 3600 to share printer on Win7 x64 Ultimate
2013-05-22 17:07:43
OK, no problem then, but as I don't have a WDR3600 I can't tell you what is the best build for you.

The only thing I can say is that my Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT build 21061 works perfectly with my printer connected on it.
I had only to add a simple TCP/IP printer on all my PC's without installing anything else.
Options
2013-05-22 17:48:09
To add the tcp/ip printer did u add as local after u clicked add a printer then tcp/ip from drop arrow or did u select network printer second option and put the actual router ip that u use to log into the router ie 192.168.x.x.

Also to flash the router did u just log into it and do that way or did u use a flash program on ur desktop to load new firmware
Options
2013-05-22 18:06:04
You have to add a network printer (second option).

For DD-WRT flashing, you have to use 2 files : "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" first and "tl-wdr3600-webflash.bin" after in using the web interface, this order is very important to don't brick the router...

Read carefully the DD-WRT forum before to install DD-WRT...
Options
2013-05-22 20:49:22
Thankyou so much i will do it aftrr work tonite and let u know how i go

Just really quickly when i *add a network printer (second option) do i use actual ip of the tp link router 192.168.x.x and printer should show up this time to add.
Options
2013-05-22 23:39:08
Sorry, I did another mistake because I added my printer a long time ago. :o

You have to add a local printer on a TCP/IP port like that:

* Go to Control Panel->Devices and Printers and click "Add a Printer"
* Add Local Printer -- yes, local
* Click "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next"
* Under Hostname or IP Address enter the IP of your router (192.168.1.1 probably)
* On the next page where it says Additional port information is required click "Custom" and then click the "Settings" button.
* In the resulting dialog, click "Raw" and then enter 9100 for the port number in the "Raw Settings" section. Click 'apply' or 'ok' on this dialog
* Click "next" from the Additional port information is required page.
* Choose the printer driver for your printer. If your option is not there, you'll need to go find a driver somewhere and insert the disk, click "next"
* Windows may prompt you that such a driver is already installed. If so, choose "User the driver that is currently installed (recommended)" unless you have some desire to force windows to over-write the driver, click "next".
* Give the printer a name, click "next".
* Share this printer or don't. Given that the printer is on the network, I chose not to, click "next".
* On the final page, you can set this printer as default and you can print a test page, click "Finish".

I have Win7 and WinXP machines using my "router" printer...
Options
2013-05-23 12:19:52
I ended up taking back to the store and said it was not compatible and they were nice enough to give me a refund now I am looking for a new all in one printer scanner with ethernet so I can just plug into a ethernet switch and be recognized straight away as I am tired of mucking around. I just wish to get something that works. Any recommendations on a printer which can print on printable discs and has Ethernet. I have found 2 which I am looking at so far which are the Epson expression premium XP-700 and the Epson Expression Photo XP-850 they range between 200 and 270 dollars. I am open to any other suggestions like canon or hp if there are any out there which can do this.. Also will I be able to be printing with one pc and if I print with another one at the same time will it just put it in the print queue job list.
Options
2013-06-06 08:51:35
I did not install the TP-Link software on my laptop, but I was able to get an old Canon Inkjet MP530 attached to a TP-Link WDR 3600 USB port to work in Windows 8 Pro (32-bit) using the following steps (make sure you change the port to what your router is setup as):
http://tomatousb.org/tut:configure-printer-in-windows

Even though the tutorial is for Tomato USB firmware, I was able to do it on the TP-Link firmware on the WDR 3600. It also worked for EasyTomato firmware on an Asus N-16 USB port with a Brother laser printer and the Canon MP530.

For the printer drivers, luckily Windows 8 either had it by default or windows downloaded additional printer drivers. Later on I also found and installed a driver from the Canon website since I wanted to use the scanning feature of the printer.
Options
2013-06-06 14:24:59

pjbtpl wrote

I was able to get an old Canon Inkjet MP530 attached to a TP-Link WDR 3600 USB port to work in Windows 8 Pro (32-bit) using the following steps (make sure you change the port to what your router is setup as):
http://tomatousb.org/tut:configure-printer-in-windows

That's the same thing I discribed before and didn't work also with my WR1043ND...

With all the TP-Link routers the USB ports management is a big shit...
Options
2018-10-03 19:18:38
I have a wireless canon printer, and it is working very fine with TP-link. Better to switch to wireless. I had always issue with my wired printer. I used to read blogs from Canon Customer Service in order to fix those issue. If your problem still persists you can take help from there.
Options
Related Articles