WiFi Network / Ethernet Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-11 10:57:35 - last edited 2021-12-13 08:32:56
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: unknow

HI

I have a Huawei modem in the garage and ethernet points at all floors. 

At the ground floor I will need more than 1 Deco to make a mesh network to have stable connection.

Will this topology work?

- If I've understood correctly, the Switch is required to prevent loops etc. The Deco's cannot be connected to the modem directly. 

- Will the WiFi Deco's create a network with the Deco that are connected by ethernet?

- What switch would you recommend?

Thanks very much

Pieter

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi Network / Ethernet Backhaul-Solution
2021-12-11 14:01:18 - last edited 2021-12-13 08:32:56

@PieterBou 

I would recommend switching your Deco mesh to Access Point mode. You can do that in Deco app, under More/Advanced. I'll add screenshot of the Deco app screen with that setting to the end of this post.

Here is the difference in features between two Deco modes, Router (default) and Access Point: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

In Access Point mode, you will not need a switch: you can connect multiple Deco directly to Huawei Ethernet ports. 

Answering your questions from the original post.

This topology will work in both Access Point mode and Deco Router mode. In Access Point mode, you also have an option to connect Deco units directly to Huawei router. See this document for more detailed conversation on Ethernet backhaul topic: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

WiFi Decos will create same network with Ethernet connected Decos, you have nothing to worry there. You will have one WiFi mesh. More to that, you can freely connect/disconnect Deco to/from Ethernet, move them around, and your WiFi mesh will stay as is, appearing as single SSID to any device that wants to connect to it.

There are also no configuration settings to enable/disable Ethernet backhaul: if you connect Deco unit to Ethernet cable and it can establish Ethernet backhaul, Deco unit will use Ethernet. If it cant, it'll switch to WiFi backhaul.

You can see how each Deco unit is connected in its page in Deco app.

If you still want to go with switch, best bet is basic gigabit unmanaged switch from TP-Link. Less features better. :) On my home network, one of my switches is TP-Link 5-port TL-SG1005D.

-----------------------------------

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:WiFi Network / Ethernet Backhaul
2021-12-11 13:13:55

@PieterBou 

To help better outline your options, please clarify the following:

1. Do you have Huawei modem or is it modem/router combo? Usually, if it is modem, you can only use single Ethernet port on it and you must connect additional router to that modem to run home network. If this is Huawei modem/router combo, you can use multiple Ethernet ports on it and won't need anything else to have home network running.

2. Do you plan to deploy Deco M9 solely to improve WiFi coverage, or buying them for content filtering features such as parental controls, bandwidth allocation per type of device, etc., etc.?

Options
Re:WiFi Network / Ethernet Backhaul
2021-12-11 13:39:32

@Alexandre. Hi Thanks for the reply.

it's a Huwaei OptiXstar EG8147X6. Multiple ethernet ports

I use the Deco as my Wifi network, with one of the deco's as main deco.

Currently mainly for Wifi coverage, using the wireless mesh technology as well. 

In future might also make better use of the features of M9.

Thanks

Options
Re:WiFi Network / Ethernet Backhaul-Solution
2021-12-11 14:01:18 - last edited 2021-12-13 08:32:56

@PieterBou 

I would recommend switching your Deco mesh to Access Point mode. You can do that in Deco app, under More/Advanced. I'll add screenshot of the Deco app screen with that setting to the end of this post.

Here is the difference in features between two Deco modes, Router (default) and Access Point: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

In Access Point mode, you will not need a switch: you can connect multiple Deco directly to Huawei Ethernet ports. 

Answering your questions from the original post.

This topology will work in both Access Point mode and Deco Router mode. In Access Point mode, you also have an option to connect Deco units directly to Huawei router. See this document for more detailed conversation on Ethernet backhaul topic: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

WiFi Decos will create same network with Ethernet connected Decos, you have nothing to worry there. You will have one WiFi mesh. More to that, you can freely connect/disconnect Deco to/from Ethernet, move them around, and your WiFi mesh will stay as is, appearing as single SSID to any device that wants to connect to it.

There are also no configuration settings to enable/disable Ethernet backhaul: if you connect Deco unit to Ethernet cable and it can establish Ethernet backhaul, Deco unit will use Ethernet. If it cant, it'll switch to WiFi backhaul.

You can see how each Deco unit is connected in its page in Deco app.

If you still want to go with switch, best bet is basic gigabit unmanaged switch from TP-Link. Less features better. :) On my home network, one of my switches is TP-Link 5-port TL-SG1005D.

-----------------------------------

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 345

Replies: 3

Related Articles