Pausing internet access does not work on Android with VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-11 12:50:37
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730 rel.54485(4555)

Hello,

I just bought TP-Link AX3000 (Archer AX50).

I test parential control and I see that when I have VPN installed on my Android phone, pausing internet access does not work, even when internet access is paused I can still connect to the internet.

I get 'Sigh in to the network' on my Wifi connection on the phone and wifi icon get exclamatin mark, but it does not prevent e.g. opening some web page in google chrome.

Is this known feature or a bug?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Pausing internet access does not work on Android with VPN?
2021-12-16 00:53:52

@Kragdob 

What most probably happens is that with VPN client on your Android device you're bypassing the Parenatl Control feature.

Exclamaition mark means that you can't resolve the websites IP addresses (FQDNs) - a DNS issue. That is when the host Internet is paused.

When VPN connection is established your device most probably resolves the FQDNs with the VPN's DNS instead of the router's DNS.

Thus you're able to open some web pages in Chrome - that's my theory.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Pausing internet access does not work on Android with VPN?
2021-12-16 17:38:01

Thanks, It does not solve, but at least explains something.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 345

Replies: 2