Omada SDN configure IPTV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada SDN configure IPTV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Omada SDN configure IPTV
Omada SDN configure IPTV
2021-12-14 15:00:54
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 4.4.6

Good afternoon all,

I hope you are having a good day?

I have the following setup running :

- SDN OC200
- Router TL-ER7206
- Switch 2x TL-SG2210MP
- WiFi 3x EAP620 HD EU version

Now I have internet of a Dutch provider : KPN, this made by a PPPoE connection. See settings below:

Unfortunately I can only set up 1 VLAN. For the internet it is VLAN 6 For IPTV it is Vlan 4.

How can I ensure that I can program multiple VLANs in the Omada SDN for my PPPoE connection? I have created VLAN 4 in the controller with the corresponding data from the provider (KPN). 

See the picture below.

I have setup a specific port in VLAN 4 in the switch for my Arris IPTV.Unfortunately, this does not work. 

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this.

If I use a consumer line TP-link, for example an Archer. Here I can create multiple VLANS through a PPPoE connection. There is also an IPTV function in it by means of a checkbox.

Can I also program this into the SDN Controller?

See the picture below. for the Archer settings. This settings works. 

I hope that one off you can help me out. Have a nice day:)

Kinds Regards,

AWP 

Options
17 Reply
Re:Omada SDN configure IPTV
2021-12-14 23:18:50

@AWP_IPVG 

ER605 does not support IPTV yet. Rumor says a firmware may update this.

Options
2021-12-15 07:21:25

@John1234 

Hi John,

I would be very sorry to hear that. I have invested quite a bit of time to get this working which is not there.

It is strange that it is in the archer (consumer line) and not in the business line. At least they can do it.

I hope that there will be a solution as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

AWP

Options
2021-12-23 20:41:30

@John1234 I found out that Omada SDN for OC200 is on version 5.0x. IPTV will be supported (as they state in the feature map) in version 5.1x. So, as the 5.0 for OC200 is out just about two days ago I guess it will take a bit of time to get IPTV supported. 

My work around was to detach the gateway from the Omada SDN Controller and configure it manually using the good old interface. The functionality is obviously available in the router yet it is not yet manageable through the SDN Controller.

I had lots of pain by the way getting IPTV working with TP-Link Gateways and it actually never worked very well through TP-Link routers. I am a bit underwhelmed by their "security features" also. Ping is not configurable for different interfaces, which could make your switch block internal devices when they broadcast a ping to often. 

My advise would be to add a decent Cisco Firewall before getting to your network but that would break the SDN benefits. I invested in TP-Link also quit a bit and upgraded to their SDN compatible gateway and switches recently which I have turned off while i am waiting for SDN 5.1 to support at least Routed IPTV and hopefully a stable version this time.

Good luck with your endevours. I guess that pretty soon we will know if we should reconsider TP-Link at all or that it is working out as planned.

Best regards,

Marc

Options
2021-12-27 07:23:20

Hi @Marc_Collet,

Thanks for your response.

Channel Director from Omada was here at our office last week and he indeed told me that there will be a release that supports IPTV.

In Standalone mode there is indeed an option to get it working but then the fun stops because you want to use SDN.

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I am not a Cisco fan. I will wait patiently for the new release. It's a shame it doesn't work for now but they are going to work on it. For now I have a working situation and can wait a while, It might happen in the 1st quarter or the 2nd.

Have a nice day

Kind regards,

AWP

Options
2022-04-01 12:28:09

What is the usage of the IPTV ? I'm a bit confused. I have several smart TV at home connected to my switch via cable or wifi and if I want i can segregate these devices into a specific VLAN. These TV are connected to internet as any other device, phones, computers, tablet ....what exactly is this ?

Options
2022-05-15 15:11:13

Hello @Marc_Collet

I am considering installing an Omada network with Router, Switch and several APs to completely replace KPN's equipment (behind a Fiber connection) while keep using the IPTV STBs. I would replace the KPN V11 for an TP-Link R605 and use the software controller for the SDN. (No OC200). Did you check out the new Omada_SDN_Controller_V5.3.1  for its announced IPTV capabilities? It was released 7 May 2022. Would be great to get this setup working.  

Installation Mechanic for business and home office.
Options
2022-06-03 19:50:03

@AWP_IPVG 

it works for me in the same condiguration after upgradeing OCC200 to v. 5.1.7

Options
2022-06-11 10:30:49

@MaartenMechanic sorry for the very very late response. buzy buzy.

I installed latest firmware on controller and on router / switches. I have no serious improvement in the experience with TV to STB's. Actually it got worse. I only get the TV Guide and very very high response times on actions on the tv remote to STB. Switching channels does nog autoplay the stream. I've had no time to use wireshark to investigate any packages and see what is possibly a bottleneck on any OSI layer. 

Having that said I am still very concerned with the "standardization" of IPTV. KPN worked fine for years. Solcon, a subsidiary of KPN is f@$ed-up totally. Bad to no support and instable DNS services and even the switching is pretty bad.

When I have the time I'll get into details but for now good luck. Sorry I cannot help you out.

Best regards,

Marc

Options
2022-07-24 19:22:28

@AWP_IPVG and @mrcwsw 

I have the same issue also a Dutch provider so I wil continu in Dutch if that is fone for you?

Ik heb hetzelfde probleem. Maar ik lees dat @mrcwsw het heeft opgelost?
Ik krijg het niet voor elkaar met de gegevens zoals deze hier boven staan.

@AWP_IPVG Heb jij het ondertussen werkend? Ik heb precies hetzelfde gedaan als jij alleen krijg ik bij de laatste stap die @mrcwsw doet het niet voor elkaar om op de juiste poort IPTV te selecteren omdat hij zegt dat deze al in gebruik zijn voor internet...

Hopelijk komen er nog nieuwe inzichten zodat dit toch kan want het zou jammer zijn als het hele systeem niet werkt voor IPTV.

Ik zie het graag.

If someone tagged does not speak dutch and want a translation please ask.

Options
2022-07-25 08:40:02 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:58:00

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6445

Replies: 17

Related Articles