IPSEC VPN from tp-link to AWS?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-17 20:44:09 - last edited 2021-12-21 14:19:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Has anyone managed to get a tp-link device to create an IPSEC VPN to Amazon AWS? The closest I found was this post: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/162090?replyId=583854

I'm really just looking to see what settings someone used to make it work. I have it as far as phase 1 being successful, but it doesn't tell me what's up with phase 2, so I have very little to go on to fix it.

I may have an added complication of having my tp-link device behind a NAT device - but it seems someone's made that work before (albeit to Oracle rather than AWS): https://javiermugueta.blog/2020/11/26/diy-a-cheap-vpn-ipsec-tunnel-between-your-home-and-oracle-cloud-infra-2/

However it works, it seems the tp-link can only cope with one of the two tunnels AWS prefers. AWS likes two tunnels and generally treats them as equal cost routes (or in some cases, prefers one over the next, but fails over between then). They obviously recommend that the customer side of the connection do the same, but tp-link have different ideas because it complains if you try to create a second tunnel with the same IP routes as another. A shame, but not at all the end of the world.

Any AWS compatability knowledge would be much appreciated - thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:IPSEC VPN from tp-link to AWS?-Solution
2021-12-20 12:33:25 - last edited 2021-12-21 14:19:53

Answering my own question, I seems I've worked it out (for connections to AWS, if you use IPSEC you can use serverless AWS components, for any other VPN type you'd have to run a server of your own, and do a good deal extra networking work in AWS).

Just before I start, the TP-link makes some things hard which should be simple:

- There are no useful logs of any activity (or lack thereof) - so debugging is almost impossible (trial and error is a more likely strategy)

- The IP range of the tplink can't be within the IP range of the remote side of the VPN (an unnecessary limitation, and very annoying)

- You can't setup two VPNs with the same tplink subnet IP range (so can't have dual redundant VPNs from the tp-link to AWS or anywhere else) - also an unnecessary and annoying limitation

On a more positive note, NAT traversal is something IPSEC generally struggles with, but the tp-link makes it easy (automatic, actually)

However, settings that work are as follows. You'll need to have downloaded a "VPN config" for the AWS side. There's a "generic" manufacturer which gives you all the information you need. AWS always creates two tunnels, you can use either (but not both):

- Policy Name: <anything>

- Mode: Lan-to-lan

- Remote gateway: The IP of the AWS end of the connection (pick one of the two tunnels AWS always creates)

- WAN: The wan port of your tp-link

- Local subnet: The IP range of your local subnet (sadly, unlike a lot of IPSEC, you can't put 0.0.0.0/0 in here)

- Remote subnet: The IP range on the AWS side (can't contain the local subnet, and can't be 0.0.0.0/0)

- Pre-Shared key: Get this from the AWS VPN config for the tunnel you chose

In the advanced settings:

Phase 1 Settings:

- Proposal: sha1-aes256-dh2

- (other proposals empty)

- Exchange Mode: Main Mode

- Negotiation Mode: Initiator mode

- Local ID type: IP address

- Remote ID type: IP address

- AS lifetime: 28800

- DPD: enable

- DPD interval: 10 (this should match the DPD interval in the AWS config)

Phase 2 Settings:

- Encapsulation Mode: Tunnel

- Proposal: esp-sha1-aes256

- PFS: dh2 (should match the Perfect Forward Secrecy group in the AWS config)

- S Lifetime: 28800

Notes:

- NAT seems to work without needing to set Local or Remote "types". In my setup it's something like [Tp-link -> Network -> NAT router -> ppoe -> Internet] and it seems to work fine (you do need port forwarding from the Internet back to the tp-link on ports 500 and 4500 though)
- The local and remote subnet things are a pain, and forces a whole load of network design that shouldn't be required. The only real solution is to limit the size of the CIDR in AWS and exclude the tp-link networks (or use different IP ranges for the tp-link networks - eg. 10.x.x.x in AWS and 192.168.x.x on the tp-link). It's a stupid limitation that shouldn't exist, but unless tp-link fix it, we're stuck with the problem.

- On the AWS side, you can't have a "dynamic" VPN, as there's no BGP client on the tp-link. As such, you need static routes to make the VPN work.

- The local and remote subnet options affect routing on the tp-link, but don't affect routing at all on the AWS side (AWS behaviour is better in this regard, it would be better for the tp-link to setup the VPN separately from configuring routing, but you can't have everything I suppose)

- You need to setup routing in AWS to send traffic to the tp-link network "down" the VPN. That's just regular AWS networking stuff, dependent on how you do your networking, and so I won't cover it here

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:IPSEC VPN from tp-link to AWS?
2021-12-20 09:50:55

@coofercat 

As far as I know, you need the following information: Step 3 https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3051/

For the VPN setup on most VPN routers TP has, you need to know the subnet and remote gateway. Most VPN service does not provide this info. If you don't have this info, you cannot set it up.

BTW, under the controller mode, you cannot set the router to be IPsec Client. Your AWS is the Server, right? If so, that's bad

Options
Re:IPSEC VPN from tp-link to AWS?
2021-12-20 12:11:53
You cannot set IPSec Client, but you can set L2TP client and it should do the job. I am using it to connect to my company VPN.
Options
Re:IPSEC VPN from tp-link to AWS?-Solution
2021-12-20 12:33:25 - last edited 2021-12-21 14:19:53

Answering my own question, I seems I've worked it out (for connections to AWS, if you use IPSEC you can use serverless AWS components, for any other VPN type you'd have to run a server of your own, and do a good deal extra networking work in AWS).

Just before I start, the TP-link makes some things hard which should be simple:

- There are no useful logs of any activity (or lack thereof) - so debugging is almost impossible (trial and error is a more likely strategy)

- The IP range of the tplink can't be within the IP range of the remote side of the VPN (an unnecessary limitation, and very annoying)

- You can't setup two VPNs with the same tplink subnet IP range (so can't have dual redundant VPNs from the tp-link to AWS or anywhere else) - also an unnecessary and annoying limitation

On a more positive note, NAT traversal is something IPSEC generally struggles with, but the tp-link makes it easy (automatic, actually)

However, settings that work are as follows. You'll need to have downloaded a "VPN config" for the AWS side. There's a "generic" manufacturer which gives you all the information you need. AWS always creates two tunnels, you can use either (but not both):

- Policy Name: <anything>

- Mode: Lan-to-lan

- Remote gateway: The IP of the AWS end of the connection (pick one of the two tunnels AWS always creates)

- WAN: The wan port of your tp-link

- Local subnet: The IP range of your local subnet (sadly, unlike a lot of IPSEC, you can't put 0.0.0.0/0 in here)

- Remote subnet: The IP range on the AWS side (can't contain the local subnet, and can't be 0.0.0.0/0)

- Pre-Shared key: Get this from the AWS VPN config for the tunnel you chose

In the advanced settings:

Phase 1 Settings:

- Proposal: sha1-aes256-dh2

- Exchange Mode: Main Mode

- Negotiation Mode: Initiator mode

- Local ID type: IP address

- Remote ID type: IP address

- AS lifetime: 28800

- DPD: enable

- DPD interval: 10 (this should match the DPD interval in the AWS config)

Phase 2 Settings:

- Encapsulation Mode: Tunnel

- Proposal: esp-sha1-aes256

- PFS: dh2 (should match the Perfect Forward Secrecy group in the AWS config)

- S Lifetime: 28800

Notes:

- NAT seems to work without needing to set Local or Remote "types". In my setup it's something like [Tp-link -> Network -> NAT router -> ppoe -> Internet] and it seems to work fine (you do need port forwarding from the Internet back to the tp-link on ports 500 and 4500 though)
- The local and remote subnet things are a pain, and forces a whole load of network design that shouldn't be required. The only real solution is to limit the size of the CIDR in AWS and exclude the tp-link networks (or use different IP ranges for the tp-link networks - eg. 10.x.x.x in AWS and 192.168.x.x on the tp-link). It's a stupid limitation that shouldn't exist, but unless tp-link fix it, we're stuck with the problem.

- On the AWS side, you can't have a "dynamic" VPN, as there's no BGP client on the tp-link. As such, you need static routes to make the VPN work.

- The local and remote subnet options affect routing on the tp-link, but don't affect routing at all on the AWS side (AWS behaviour is better in this regard, it would be better for the tp-link to setup the VPN separately from configuring routing, but you can't have everything I suppose)

- You need to setup routing in AWS to send traffic to the tp-link network "down" the VPN. That's just regular AWS networking stuff, dependent on how you do your networking, and so I won't cover it here

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2583

Replies: 3

Related Articles