Unable to connect to IPsec VPN

2023-12-28 01:24:54 - last edited 2024-01-04 06:20:24
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2 Build 20231017 Rel.68869

I recently got these credentials (as shown in pic) from Adguard VPN to configure the router for VPN access.
I browsed through the settings of router and couldn't find anywhere to put those credentials.

I even tried the Omada Software Controller.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to connect to IPsec VPN-Solution
2024-01-03 10:00:15 - last edited 2024-01-04 06:20:24

Turns out the Omada er605 v2 doesn't support this vpn protocol. I guess I will have to wait for their Wireguard Protocol.

I contacted the Adguard VPN support and they said that there are very few routers that actually support IPsec VPN. And added that TPLINK Routers do not have this feature

For those who want to use this Adguard VPN IPsec Protocol on Linux can use the following guide from adguard subreddit

```

In command prompt type sudo apt-get update, if required - enter your Ubuntu password.

To install additional components type sudo apt-get install -y strongswan network-manager-strongswan libcharon-extra-plugins

Go to Settings -> Network and click the "plus" icon in VPN section. In appeared window select the type of connection - IPsec/IKEv2 (strongswan).

Fill in the boxes as shown in the screenshot below from your AdGuard VPN dashboard:

IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW

Then, To prevent IPv6 leaks go to IPv6 tab and set Disable in IPv6 Method section.
```

https://i.imgur.com/izHMbsQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/4hLBWbc.png

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Unable to connect to IPsec VPN
2023-12-28 03:29:03

Hi @xr4nchy 

This profile does not seem to be a choice for the router. It's for mobile and Windows where you can set up the username and password.

We don't have this option to let you input the username and password. Let alone this might affect how the router routing works. Try other types of VPN instead of the IPsec with username and password. We don't support it. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-12-28 09:39:32

@xr4nchy I'm interested in the same thing.

This is specifically in the "Router" section of the Adguard VPN so I doubt it's only for Windows and Android.

Options
2023-12-29 06:28:08

@luvxinh It looks like you're trying to use a feature from a consumer router on a business router. It will work with the ER605 router from what I can see in the Omada Controller or any of the Omada routers for that matter. You will be better off using the AdGuard DNS instead in this situation.

Options
Re:Unable to connect to IPsec VPN-Solution
2024-01-03 10:00:15 - last edited 2024-01-04 06:20:24

Turns out the Omada er605 v2 doesn't support this vpn protocol. I guess I will have to wait for their Wireguard Protocol.

I contacted the Adguard VPN support and they said that there are very few routers that actually support IPsec VPN. And added that TPLINK Routers do not have this feature

For those who want to use this Adguard VPN IPsec Protocol on Linux can use the following guide from adguard subreddit

```

In command prompt type sudo apt-get update, if required - enter your Ubuntu password.

To install additional components type sudo apt-get install -y strongswan network-manager-strongswan libcharon-extra-plugins

Go to Settings -> Network and click the "plus" icon in VPN section. In appeared window select the type of connection - IPsec/IKEv2 (strongswan).

Fill in the boxes as shown in the screenshot below from your AdGuard VPN dashboard:

IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW

Then, To prevent IPv6 leaks go to IPv6 tab and set Disable in IPv6 Method section.
```

https://i.imgur.com/izHMbsQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/4hLBWbc.png

Recommended Solution
Options