Roaming from AX to AC (X90 and M9 Plus in the same mesh)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-21 10:54:44 - last edited 2023-07-06 13:40:39
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have 3 x M9 Plus v2 in my home. Main Deco is in router mode. One satellite is on the wired backbone, another is using the wireless backbone to the wired satellite. v1.5.3 EU firmware on all 3 devices.
I was considering adding a pair of X90 devices as we have a 1Gbps internet connection and number of AX compatible laptops/phones. All wireless devices are limited to AC by the M9 Plus devices and get at best 350Mbps.

My question is for these devices which are able to do AX: If they roam from an X90 to an M9 Plus will they seamlessly drop down to AC, and then go back up to AX when they roam back to an X90? Or is the choice of AC vs AX made when the device initially connects to the network? Or is it the driver or OS of the device that decides if the connection can switch up/down between AC and AX? Or does the entire wireless network stay on AC until the last M9 is removed?

And I guess I have a question for the wireless backhaul: Will the M9 Plus wireless satellite devices be able to use the full array of 2 x 5GHz channels + 1 x 2.4GHz to create a backhaul to an X90?

UPDATE: I tried adding an X90 to the existing network where M9 Plus was the main Deco, and then set X90 as the main Deco. In both cases the authentication mechanism stayed as WPA2 and clients connect using AC not AX. As soon as I removed the M9s and only had X90s, the authentication option would change to WPA3/WPA2 and clients could connect on AX. Adding an M9 back again caused the authentication mechanism to drop to WPA2 and I could not select WPA3/WPA2 from the app any longer - the option was removed. Therefore all devices in the Deco "network" must be capable of running AX in order to offer AX at all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 488

Replies: 0

Related Articles