Will this setup work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Will this setup work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Will this setup work?
Will this setup work?
2021-12-24 12:59:57 - last edited 2021-12-25 13:26:43
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: latest

Hi

I've seen a picture on this community where they say my setup should be possible, but since i use multiple switches i wanted to check this before rebuilding my network for something that doesn't work

Additional question, since i use my deco's as accesspoints my modem will remain as router and do firewall/DHCP and such, but are there any other changes in this setup? Like losing Mesh(main reason to switch)?

Setup: This picture is indication, i have more equipment connected. It's more from the same.

Switches are: TP-link SG108S (Unmanaged)

Modem is also the router

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will this setup work?-Solution
2021-12-24 14:21:24 - last edited 2021-12-25 13:26:43

@Blindside 

I have similar setup in my house, with Deco M5 and M9, I run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, everything works just fine. Your setup should work, too.

You will have WiFi mesh in that setup and you won't need to make any changes in Deco other than its Operating Mode from Router (default) to Access Point. You can do that during initial setup.

To simplify Deco mesh deployment at your home, I would suggest doing it in the following order:

1. Connect first Deco, which will become Main Deco, with Ethernet cable directly to ISP router/modem. Proceed through initial configuration. After done, in Deco app under More/Advanced change Operating Mode to Access Point.

2. Bring next Deco unit where Main Deco is, and make it join Deco mesh. That Deco unit does not have to be connected by Ethernet cable for initial setup. Continue with rest of Deco units you plan to have, same way.

3. When you see in Deco app you have your Deco mesh with all units on and healthy, power off all of them, move each to their permanent location, connect to Ethernet cable there and turn them on starting with Main Deco.

------------------

In your setup, it does not matter where Main Deco will be. 

Hint: Each Deco has two Ethernet ports, you could use one of them to connect wired device (such as PC, TV) to it like to networking switch. 

------------------

Where to change Deco Operating Mode in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Will this setup work?-Solution
2021-12-24 14:21:24 - last edited 2021-12-25 13:26:43

@Blindside 

I have similar setup in my house, with Deco M5 and M9, I run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, everything works just fine. Your setup should work, too.

You will have WiFi mesh in that setup and you won't need to make any changes in Deco other than its Operating Mode from Router (default) to Access Point. You can do that during initial setup.

To simplify Deco mesh deployment at your home, I would suggest doing it in the following order:

1. Connect first Deco, which will become Main Deco, with Ethernet cable directly to ISP router/modem. Proceed through initial configuration. After done, in Deco app under More/Advanced change Operating Mode to Access Point.

2. Bring next Deco unit where Main Deco is, and make it join Deco mesh. That Deco unit does not have to be connected by Ethernet cable for initial setup. Continue with rest of Deco units you plan to have, same way.

3. When you see in Deco app you have your Deco mesh with all units on and healthy, power off all of them, move each to their permanent location, connect to Ethernet cable there and turn them on starting with Main Deco.

------------------

In your setup, it does not matter where Main Deco will be. 

Hint: Each Deco has two Ethernet ports, you could use one of them to connect wired device (such as PC, TV) to it like to networking switch. 

------------------

Where to change Deco Operating Mode in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Will this setup work?
2021-12-24 15:33:06
Thanks for your response! I will test it out this weekend :-)
Options
Re:Will this setup work?
2021-12-25 13:27:13
Works like a charm! And with 3 pods i covered pretty much my whole house :-)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 602

Replies: 3

Related Articles