Can I use Deco with Archer AX50 router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-30 23:46:12 - last edited 2021-12-30 23:47:59
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have recently purchased an Archer AX50 router to help solve WiFi issues I was getting at home with my ISP router - the results here have been great!

I have a detached garage in my garden which I want to be able to stream video in. Although my Archer AX50 does now get me signal in the garage, it is not strong enough for streaming.

I had planned to fix this with TP Link Powerlines, however due to my electrical wiring this does not work.

I am now thinking if I position a Deco at the window closest to the garage and another inside the garage, this will give me the result I need.

My question is, can I still make use of my Archer AX50 if I were to also use Deco M4's? Or will I need to get rid of the router and use just the Decos instead? I think I read somewhere that the Deco can be setup in AP mode rather than router mode is that right?

As the main Deco would need to connect to the router, would I see any issues with the WiFi signals between the Archer AX50 and Deco clashing?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Can I use Deco with Archer AX50 router?
2021-12-31 01:28:42 - last edited 2021-12-31 01:42:49

@LHensh 

My question is, can I still make use of my Archer AX50 if I were to also use Deco M4's? Or will I need to get rid of the router and use just the Decos instead? I think I read somewhere that the Deco can be setup in AP mode rather than router mode is that right?

As the main Deco would need to connect to the router, would I see any issues with the WiFi signals between the Archer AX50 and Deco clashing?

Deco will create its own WiFi network, Archer AX50 will run its own WiFi network. Think about it as if you've got two different independent WiFi routers in your house. Can you have two WiFi routers in the house? Sure. Will there be problems? Yes, there will be.

Deco in AP mode means there is a router responsible for network management (such as IP address allocation) and Deco is only responsible for WiFi coverage. In AP mode, Deco will not extend router WiFi, Deco will still has its own WiFi network. Meaning, still two different WiFi networks in the house. For that reason, it is recommended to turn off WiFi on router after Deco is deployed in AP mode.

Which means, in your case it would make sense to get rid of AX50 and buy 3-pack Deco instead. It is, if you want worry free WiFi coverage in your house. The only issue with that, AX50 is WiFi6 router. If you are considering Deco M4, it is WiFi5. 

If you want future proof your house with WiFi6 coverage, your options from TP-Link are Deco X60 or Deco X68. That Deco 3-pack will cost you more than AX50 and probably more than AX50+ 2 pack M4. So, it all depends on your budget and if you could find a good deal for Deco especially now, around holidays.

In case prices are within your budget and TP-Link sells both X60 and X68 in you region, I would recommend going with 3-pack X68, even if it costs a little more. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2299

Replies: 1