Moving from Deco M4 to X20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-31 15:05:17
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone. My current setup is a number of Devo M4's linked to my Virgin Media Hub in router mode on a 350 Mb Plan. I've just upgraded to 1 gig and thought i'd upgrade my Deco system at the same time. I've plumed for a trio pack of Deco X20'S and wanted to know what's the best way to upgrade. Virgin are sending me a new Hub 4 to replace the old one. If I remove all the M4'S from my app and install the new hub and set the nodes up using the same wifi name and password will all my household devices recognize it or is it best to wipe everything and start a fresh?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Moving from Deco M4 to X20
2021-12-31 16:49:21

@Mogbat 

If you have settings in your Deco mesh you don't want to lose (and redo), arrange move from M4 to X20 in the following order:

1. Add X20s to your existent Deco mesh, through Deco app. They will be running side by side with M4s at this point. Use Deco app to verify X20s were added successfully and report as healthy. You might even see some of household devices already connected to X20s at this point.

2. Change Main Deco from M4 to one of X20, see this: How to switch your main Deco to another Deco currently on your mesh network

3. Now that you have X20 as Main Deco, delete all M4s from your Deco mesh, through Deco app. You now have Deco mesh with X20s only. All Deco mesh settings (SSIDs, passwords, parental controls, content fitering) should have been preserved. Your household devices should all have connected to X20s, seamlessly.

Options
2022-01-01 05:37:01

@Alexandre. Many thank for your reply So after completing what you suggested I can then swap the main router? 

Options
2022-01-01 13:26:38

@Mogbat 

This is correct. It is not recommended to do both Deco hardware and main router swaps simultaneously.

So, swap Deco M4 to X20 while keeping old main router, see that everything works, then swap main router with new Hub 4.

Alternatively, keep Deco M4 as they are now, swap main router with new Hub 4 and verify everything is still working. Then, swap Deco M4 with X20.

Options
2022-01-01 14:29:23

@Alexandre. Cheers. Happy New Year 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1331

Replies: 4

Related Articles