Deco M5 Wi-Fi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Wi-Fi speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 Wi-Fi speed
Deco M5 Wi-Fi speed
2022-01-01 08:44:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Hi there

ive recently upgraded my broadband to 200Mbps and according to Deco it is actually achieving circa 211 Mbps. 

However when I do an external download test standing next to the main Deco it only achieves 103 Mbps. About what it was before (when the broadband was 100 Mbps. 

The device I'm using has priority on the network and there's no other material usage. 

Any ideas? My understanding is that the M5 can cope with speeds up to 400 Mbps but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. 

Btw I'm not confident on the version number. I can't see anything on the Deco re this. 

thanks 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Wi-Fi speed
2022-01-01 13:58:48

@Brubacker 

You may need to increase QoS value in Deco, see this document: Using QoS feature of Deco

As for the hardware version number, you could find it on the sticker at the bottom of M5, it is right after S/N. Also, if you still have original box M5 came in, the sticker on that box should have hardware version number.

Here is example with M9 Plus, but it is the same for M5:

In this example, it is M9 Plus, US model, hardware version 2.0.

Options
2022-01-01 16:13:09

Great thank you. The QoS sorted it 😄 @Alexandre. 

Options
2022-01-01 18:03:09

@Brubacker Sorry to jump on the band wagon , so to speak , but i am also having problem with my M5 mesh setup.

I am with Virgin 1GB with their hub 4 , this is in modem mode and connected to the main M5.

In the same room , approx 20' away i have my pc which has another M5 on top of it with an ethernet cable connecting the two. Directly above this room are two of my boys bedrooms , each has an M5 and both connect to their respective gaming pcs again via ethernet cable.

I have another M5 in my kitchen , and , here it gets complicated , my son lives in a log cabin at the foot of our garden. In there he has another M5 but he also has an ethernet cable running into my kitchen , where its connected to a TP Link switch , and another cable runs through the house and plugs into the main M5.

i will include a very basic map if with this post.

My problem is , i am getting 917.5 Down and 51.7 Up in the deco app , i have set the gaming items as priority on the QoS and manually set the speed , but the wifi speeds i am getting arent very good at all , anywhere in the house . For example , sat next to my PC now in the living room right next to the M5 i am getting 191 down and 44.6 up on my Poco F3 phone , am i expecting too much to think it should be a lot higher ? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Options
2022-01-01 20:51:00

@StaceyEllis 

I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode, which gives me maximum Deco WiFi performance: no parental controls, no bandwidth throttling. I disabled 2.4GHz on Deco Main Network and all my devices are always connected to 5GHz. There is very little interference in my household from neighbours 5GHz WiFi signals, they don't reach my house or extremely weak when they do.

My Internet is gigabit.

In that environment, in speed tests I ran, the best I've got on WiFi device connected to wired Main Deco M5 was 475Mbps. For Satellite Deco M5 connected wirelessly to Main Deco the best I've ever got was 225Mbps.

Mind you, these are the best results, average is lower.

If you are getting 191 down on Satellite M5 with wireless backhaul, this seem to be all right. For WiFi device connected to wired M5, such as Main Deco, expect 300Mbps-350Mbps as acceptable result.

What you can do is check if your Satellite M5s are properly positioned. Open each of them in Deco app and see what it shows under Signal Source. Example:

If on any of Satellite Deco you see less than 2 blue bars, or yellow/red bars, or don't see 5GHz and only see 2.4GHz, that would mean you should move that Satellite Deco closer to Main Deco.

Options
2022-01-02 13:23:37 - last edited 2022-01-02 13:29:13

@Alexandre. Thanks for your reply 

As you suggested, I have changed the Decos to AP mode and I've Relocated a couple of the dishes. The results are as follows, all dishes are getting at least 2 bars 

I have wired my pc directly to the Virgin Hub but the result is a disappointing 100mb, I'm going to try a different cable. 

The dishes are located in the Living room, Jack's Bedroom, Joe's bedroom, Mum & Dads bedroom, Log Cabin. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 5

Related Articles