Drop-Free and Seamless Dual Band Connections ... not working as expected.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 11:37:13 - last edited 2022-01-05 00:44:33
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20201112 Rel. 66232

I have connected the extender via both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

The 5GHz connection is a bit flaky, it sometimes the signal is good sometime is weak. ( unfortunately I cannot put the extender closer, it's brigdes between 2 houses )

The 2.4GHz connection is always good.

Time to time  I notice that the internet speed crawls to almost unusable, speed test drops from 60Mbps to 1 Mpbs, ping is like 1seconds.

When I login and check I can that the 5GHz connection is weak, 2.4Ghz is good.

If I manually disable the 5GHz, the speed tests improves to back to the 60Mbps and ping is good 4-10ms

I was expected this to be handled by the "Drop-Free and Seamless Dual Band Connections"

Maybe I'm just better of with 5GHz turned off permanently ? [ wanted it as a backup, if there is some interferences on 2.4Ghz ]

Options
6 Reply
Re:Drop-Free and Seamless Dual Band Connections ... not working as expected.
2022-01-05 11:55:52

@silles Since you can't use 5GHz with a high signal I recommend not using it. Do this and you will see that your network will be more stable. And I know what it's like to believe in advertising and when you see the repeater in practice doesn't offer all that.

Options
2022-01-05 12:17:43

@Andrsouzaaa yeah that's what I did, actually just wanted to raise the issue here.

The only issue with only using 2.4Ghz that sometimes there is strong interference and the whole thing just falls apart for a few minutes ( neighbour's microwave? donno )

5Ghz is single is usable most of the time, but I noticed that it can drop as well.

So I was hoping to use both bands to minimize interruption .... indecision

Also disappointed that the version sold in Spain, is V1 without OneMesh  crying

Options
2022-01-05 12:23:38

@silles I understand , I also have the RE650 in the V1 version purchased in Spain and I know how much it disappointed me because I expected something surprising and when I saw it personally I saw a product with serious problems, and the company does not care to fix it, try to change channels in the 2.4GHz band, avoid the most congested, Another option is for you to connect to the 5GHz network and force the high speed mode, turning off the 5GHz network from the repeater so that it connects to the 5GHz router network but transmits only on2.4GHz.

Options
2022-01-05 12:38:48

@Andrsouzaaa I dont see the high-speed mode option in this one. I have it in the new RE550 but not in the 650. Thought 650 had 4 channels so no need to turn off 1. like in the 550 where there is only 3. Not sure

Options
2022-01-05 12:44:04

@silles exactly, it doesn't have the function described in the settings, but you can do it manually, which is like I said, connect the extender to the 5GHz network only, then go to Networks>Extended network>disable the 5GHz network and that's it, it will repeat at 2.4GHz but getting the signal from the 5GHz network this should be enough to give you the necessary stability

Options
2022-01-14 13:05:28

@Andrsouzaaa 

Thanks, ended up just using 5Gz, works most of the time. But connection still detoraties, need to reboot the system time to time. ( no sign of any problem, says signal is strong, just connection slow between the 2 extenders 550->650, after reboot its fine. )

At the reboot page it actually says:

"Tp link, reliably smart." -  haha

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 6

Related Articles