Internet connection is dropping periodically

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-06 04:10:42 - last edited 2022-01-06 04:15:02
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 20210607 Rel. 56436

The entire mesh network shuts down periodically at random times throughout the day with each puck turning red for about 5 mins.  Each Puck is hard wired to the cable modem.  The hard wired and WiFi devices all lose internet connectivity while the pucks are down.  Something is causing the pucks to cycle on then off during this time.

I am hooked up in router mode. No other router is connected to the cable modem or mesh pucks.

When I plug into my cable modem while the pucks are red, i am getting connection to the internet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Finn

Options
12 Reply
Re:Internet connection is dropping periodically
2022-01-06 16:26:28 - last edited 2022-01-06 16:53:04

@Finnegan2567 

Would you please confirm the following in regard to your Deco mesh:

1. You run Deco in Router mode.

2. You have Deco nodes connected to your ISP modem/router by Ethernet cables the following way:

If this my understanding of how your Deco mesh configured is not correct, please correct it.

Also, how many Deco nodes (pucks) do you have, including Main Deco?

Options
2022-01-06 17:36:13

@Alexandre. It is set up in router mode. It also cycled off in access point mode.  Neither mode works.  

Options
2022-01-06 17:38:45
I have each puck wired to a Gbit switch that is connected/wired to the isp cable modem.
Options
2022-01-06 20:44:18

@Finnegan2567 

Is this what you have?

This configuration is not supported in Deco Router mode, and it will not work in Deco Access Point mode if you have ISP cable modem. You must have ISP router for that to work in Deco Access Point mode.

See this document for detailed discussion of the topic: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-01-06 23:26:51

@Alexandre. Yes, this the setup I have with the modem/router belonging to the ISP. 

I also noticed when it went down today.  The isp modem shut off. Now it seems more isp related.  I was on the phone with them today with no resolution other than a modem reset.

The mesh network in this set up seems to work in both modes when the cable modem does not shut off. 

I appreciate the help. Unless there is a way for the mesh router configuration to some how cause the cable modem to cycle or shut down.  It does not seem to be mesh router issue. Thoughts on the configuration causing modem issues?

Options
2022-01-07 01:20:55

@Finnegan2567 

To clear confusion, would you please share brand and model name/number of ISP modem/router you have. 

Options
2022-01-07 02:08:56

@Alexandre. Technicolor CGA4234 router

Options
2022-01-07 13:58:57 - last edited 2022-01-07 13:59:32

@Finnegan2567 

Technicolor CGA4234 is indeed router (modem+gateway), not just a cable modem.

Because of that, I would recommend switching Deco mesh to Access Point mode. That will not fix Internet issues ISP router experiences, but it will help to avoid issues within Deco mesh.

You don't want both at the same time.

I, too, have cable Internet. When I installed my Deco mesh, it exposed an issue with my cable provider: randomly, during day and night, Internet goes down for a brief period of 1-2 minutes. Multiple times during every 24 hours.

This was not a new problem for my household, but now with Deco I can see it every time it happens even when I don't use Internet, because Deco LED light will go red during the outage, on all Deco units.

ISP technical support was initially dismissive of the problem, but when I managed to convince them it is their problem, they dispatched technician and fixed it.

What you can do if you haven't done yet is turn off WiFi on your Technicolor CGA4234 router. You don't need it now that you have Deco mesh, and if your Internet issues are similar to what I had, which was ISP router rebooting itself when cable signal quality dropped below threshold, with its WiFi turned off your ISP router could restart much faster and your Internet connection would be recovered sooner.

Options
2022-01-07 17:18:48

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for this feedback!  This pretty much describes my issue.  The ISP WiFi is turned off already.  I've had it previously in in Access Mode with similar results. I can change it back if that will optimize it a little more.  Can you share any information about what your ISP did on their end to resolve this issue? I believe I will have to do the same thing, but not sure what needs to happen other than a Hardware replacement.

Thanks again for the help!

Options
2022-01-07 21:34:58 - last edited 2022-01-07 21:36:25

@Finnegan2567 

When I managed to convince ISP there is a problem, they sent technician to my house. He found cracked insulation on TV cable entering my house. That exposed its internals to elements. That caused signal fluctuation and when signal gets outside of acceptable threshold, cable modem would "internally reboot" as a part of automatic troubleshooting, causing Internet connection to drop briefly.

Technician replaced that part of the cable outside of my house, it solved the problem.

-----------

What made that problem hard to resolve:

1) ISP Technical Support said they have no other escalations in my area and as far as they can tell all is fine with my cable modem. Which was true, and that usually hints at issues inside someone's house, such as low quality TV cables or TV splitters used, which are not ISP responsibility;

2) I still have TV cable subscription. Not TV over IP, but old good digital cable TV. When my Internet were interrupted, TV broacast weren't. I can keep watching TV with no apparent issues while Deco unit LED goes red. Usually, with cable Internet, if it is down - TV is down too. I now think, probably digital TV equipment has different sensitivity levels to signal quality than cable Internet modem;

3) When cable modem "internally reboots," its lights pattern doesn't change. Mine is HITRON, it has almost as many lights as a Christmas tree. One would expect when something is wrong lights would go off, start blinking, go from green/blue to red, anything. Not for "internal reboot," apparently: I can see Deco LED staying red and Internet down while cable modem lights are all as usual.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1483

Replies: 13

Related Articles