Archer C6 V2 settings limiting VPN download speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-09 14:48:32 - last edited 2022-03-02 12:35:19
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20200902 rel.65591(4555)

Hello dear support,

So I have this problem, that some settings on Archer C6 v2 is limiting my internet download speed when connected to Mullvad VPN (doesnt matter if I use it from mobile or PC both test are capped @ 110+- mbps)

Im using speedtest.net for checking speeds. Im using it on PC (Win10) and Samsung S10e (Android)

My ISP provides me 300/300 Mbps, ive called their support they dont throttle internet connections.

Speed results @ speedtest are apx 290/290 when connected without VPN

When I use Mullvad VPN my DOWNLOAD speed stalls usually around 120-90 mbps both on pc and mobile.

my upload remains around 290 mbps even when connected to VPN.

Its not the issue with VPN, cause Ive tested it on sister apartments (she has 250 mbit) and download speed is fine (joined her WiFi on my mobile and enable Mullvad VPN there and no issues there with speed, results were around 230+- mbps). Ive also contacted Mullvad VPN support and they ensure me they aint limiting/throttling my speeds also.

Which leaves me that its some setting on the router Archer C6 V2 that Im using. Ive upgrade firmware to latest release today still the DL speed limit remains.

Its weird, that the dl/ul speed works without VPN just fine and with VPN upload is not limited and it only slows DOWNLOAD speed.

Ive tried all settings in VPN client (wireguard, openvpn) tcp/udp, different ports, different mtu. Ofc Im using closest server for best speeds. Tracert logs is just fine.

Ive checked tplink archer c6 admin site settings. 

Theres no ddos protection enabled

qos is disabled

1 gbps duplex enabled

checked my ethernet settings 

all seems OK

Still cant figure out why JUST the download speed gets limited when I use VPN.

But It must be somewhere in the router communication to the modem or router settings. HELP plz :-D

Did anyone have similar issues? 

Anyone have experience with this?

thanks for reply!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 V2 settings limiting VPN download speed-Solution
2022-01-10 17:05:43 - last edited 2022-03-02 12:35:19

@hawai36 
hi problem solved.

Archer C6 v2 is working fine. Today I called my ISP and we connected directly to ONT Huawei (we skipped WiFi router Archer C6) and the problem remained.

It looks like theres problem on VPN side.

Thanks for help anyway! 

cya

/Leo

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C6 V2 settings limiting VPN download speed
2022-01-09 21:45:24

@hawai36 

You could try the beta FW for your device from this thread - select the correct release according to your FW region.

If you don't use OneMesh feaure disable it (there's an ON/OFF switch in this version) and test.

You can always revert back to the latest official FW release that you're using if that doesn't help.

If nothing helps and you suspect a router setting is the culprit for this behaviour, you can reset to factory defaults and re-configure C6 from scratch.

Thus you'll rule out any settings issue.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer C6 V2 settings limiting VPN download speed
2022-01-09 22:00:18 - last edited 2022-01-09 22:05:06

@terziyski Ive just tried that. didnt helped. Ive also tried to factory reset router today. still nothing changed. Still download link speed is capped around 110+- mbps.

Any other ideas?

thanks in advance!

ps. 
1st one is with VPN on

2nd on is with VPN off

Options
Re:Archer C6 V2 settings limiting VPN download speed-Solution
2022-01-10 17:05:43 - last edited 2022-03-02 12:35:19

@hawai36 
hi problem solved.

Archer C6 v2 is working fine. Today I called my ISP and we connected directly to ONT Huawei (we skipped WiFi router Archer C6) and the problem remained.

It looks like theres problem on VPN side.

Thanks for help anyway! 

cya

/Leo

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1208

Replies: 3