xBox One connecting to Deco X20 but not actually working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 14:59:42 - last edited 2022-01-13 06:54:33
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20210205 Rel. 35873

I recently purchased and installed the TP-Link Deco X20 (2022Jan05). So far it's been a great mesh system and easy to install... up until I tried playing my xBox One.

Setup:

I have a Shaw Hitron Wifi Modem. The first TP-Link Deco is connected directly to the Hitron Modem via ethernet, and is only 1 foot away.

I then have the first TP-Link Deco connected via ethernet to a TP-Link router a foot away. The two other Deco units are then connected via ethernet backhaul (cords running through the walls) to the TP-Link router.

My xBox One connects to the the main Deco unit via WiFi fine. But when it comes to actually using the xBox One, it does not actually seem to be connected. XBox says the WiFi connection is at full bar strength, but when I run the 'test network' on xBox, it fails the test. Using the Deco App, the xBox is a connected device but while it is running the test, it is not transferring any data.

I'm not sure what I did wrong as all my other devices (TVs, Phones, Laptops, Cameras, other IoT devices) seem to be working just fine; it is just this xBox. I've restarted both the xBox and Deco systems and still does not work.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:xBox One connecting to Deco X20 but not actually working-Solution
2022-01-12 22:57:02 - last edited 2022-01-13 06:54:33

@Alexandre. 

thanks for the advice. I tried them out but no luck. 
then I was playing around with the advanced settings and discovered UPNP was disabled. *Facepalm*
thanks anyways. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:xBox One connecting to Deco X20 but not actually working
2022-01-10 15:58:17 - last edited 2022-01-10 15:58:31

@Will_H587 

One of the possibilities is your XBOX configured with static IP address. When you deployed Deco, it runs as a router, with its own IP range of 192.168.68.*. That won't work for XBOX if it has static IP adddess in your HITRON modem IP range.

Two ways to test that theory:

1. Google for XBOX static IP address configuration and follow recommendations how to turn it off.

or

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, which would be my recommendation if your bought Deco mesh just to provide WiFi coverage and not interested in content filtering, bandwidth throttiling, etc. For more details on difference between Router and Access Point features see What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Even if you want to have these features, temporarily switching Deco to Access Ponit mode is the troubleshooting step. Deco will yield network management back to HITRON and whatever prevented XBOX from accessing Internet should go away. Reboot of XBOX may be required after you changed Deco configuration.

The change I recommend could be done in Deco app, under More/Advanced:

Options
Re:xBox One connecting to Deco X20 but not actually working-Solution
2022-01-12 22:57:02 - last edited 2022-01-13 06:54:33

@Alexandre. 

thanks for the advice. I tried them out but no luck. 
then I was playing around with the advanced settings and discovered UPNP was disabled. *Facepalm*
thanks anyways. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1265

Replies: 2