DECO X20 - Slow Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DECO X20 - Slow Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DECO X20 - Slow Speed
DECO X20 - Slow Speed
2022-01-10 18:05:38
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 5073

I have had my Deco X20 Mesh system for 6 months now and I feel like the speeds should be way faster.  I have 3 units (1 unit in basement MAIN hooked to modem, 1 unit 1st floor, 1 unit 2nd floor).  I have my PC hardwired to the basement unit.  I have comcast 1gb internet.  When I hook my PC straight to the comcast modem I get 950 mbps.  However, when I hook the Deco unit to my modem, and my PC to Deco (Hardwire) I only get download of 200mpbs.

My wireless devices (ipad, iphones, tv,s etc) average around 20mb to 30 mb per second.  I watched some reviews on youtube of this DECO X20 system and some of thse people are getting 150-200 mbps to their wireless devices.  Any tips or tricks I can use to get these speeds faster?

When I had a regular netgear router in my basement in a closet,  my wireless speeds were 150-200 mbps on 1st floor and even faster in the basemtn.  However there were a lot of dead spots, now I do not have as many dead spots but the speed has dropped tremoundously.  Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:DECO X20 - Slow Speed
2022-01-10 21:37:36 - last edited 2022-01-10 21:38:03

@sk1pmcgee 

You may be having multiple issues with your Deco mesh: Internet speed between Main Deco and Comcast modem, and also location of Satellite X20s might not be optimal -  reducing speed on devices connected to Satellite Deco. There is also a possibility that your mobile devices try to connect at slower 2.4GHz WiFi band instead of WiFi5 or WiFi6. Finally, it might be that your 2nd floor X20 connects to basement Main Deco, with weak backhaul signal between them.

These are too many to deal at once, so maybe it'll be easier to start with troubleshooting the most obvious one. Your PC connected by Ethernet to Main Deco should be getting close to gigabit speeds (850Mbps-900Mpbs to be exact). Having just 200Mbs is not right.

You haven't said that, but I am assuming you run your Deco in Router mode. If yes, check the QoS value in Deco app and increase it to at least 1,000. See that document for more info: Using QoS feature of Deco

If that does not work, more troubleshooting will be required. Please tell if your Comcast modem is just a modem, or it is router (modem+gateway). If it is just a modem, do you still have netgear router that can be used as router attached to your Comcast modem? 

Options
2022-01-10 22:59:34

@Alexandre. 

hardwired pc now reading what it is supposed too.  See attatched image.  What do you think next step is to check?

wifi on my phone on 1st floor (not basement) still reading 30 mbps standing right in front of deco unit

Options
2022-01-11 01:12:59

@sk1pmcgee 

The next step will be to establish baseline of X20 WiFi performance. 

Power off Satellite X20s, leaving just Main Deco running. Take smartphone you are (will be) using for all speed tests and bring it to where Main Deco is. Keep smartphone at 3-6 feet away from Main Deco and run speed tests on smartphone multiple times. I would recommend using Ookla speedtest app. Note best result.

Turn off 2.4GHz on Main Network in Deco app, so that band steering is disabled, re-run speed tests with smartphone connected to 5GHz exclusively. Note best results and also if there is a substantial difference between two sets of speed tests.

What you'll get will be the best Deco X20 can do with smartphone you are using for speed tests.

Let me know when you've done that, what results you've got, and next will be evaluation of Satellite Deco X20 placements and their connectivity to Main Deco.

By the way, floors in your house, are they made of wood or of concrete?

Options
2022-01-11 01:48:31

@Alexandre. 

Welp looks like I am the one to blame.  I had 5 Ghz channel off this whole time.  Turned it on and tested my iphone next to main deco and 700mbps.  I feel super stupid.  iphone now at 500 mps in Living Room.

Woohoo!!

Thank you for all the help!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5351

Replies: 4

Related Articles