Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-12 04:57:56

Failed to set-up Decox20/ AX1800 3pack mesh network. :(

Here's what I did:

• Enabled bridge mode on on Xfinity modem/router (via my Pixel 6 Pro -maybe that was unwise)
  • Disconnected power from modem/router
  • Attached Ethernet cable between Deco and modem/router (now only modem, supposedly)
  • Powered modem (may not have waited until light was stable)
  • Powered Deco
  • Connected to Deco via Deco app and set up Name and Password (exactly the same as original --thinking that it would be seamless for all my devices)
  • Set-up first Deco (beautiful pulsing blue light, no problems)
  • Then I dunno what happened!
  • Took the second Deco upstairs ( I should have stayed downstairs next to the main Deco router hub right?) and the light went direct to a yellow then green.
  • Plugged in the third Deco downstairs and it went from yellow to green
  • The only device able to connect to the "network" was my phone, nothing else.

Then it was all a blur, with me unplugging and plugging Decos and the modem, yellow and red lights turning to green lights and speed tests came up around 22mbps. Currently sitting in close proximity to Xfinity modem/router I get 240mbps.

I gave up and had to call Xfinity to help me disable bridge mode because 10.0.01 was inaccessible to me. Afterwards all but two of my devices could connect back to the original Name and Password.

My Pixel Pro 6 would NOT "forget" the saved password until...I magically did something (rebooted the modem/router/my phone, hit "forget" numerous times). I don't know what I did to finally get my phone to connect properly. I could see the WiFi connection and it had a strong signal and the password was correct but it would not connect.

Was my phone trying to connect to the failed mesh network? Or is my phone peculiar? My roommate's Hatch app device can no longer connect either.

Should I try again but this time:

Use my iPad to enable bridge mode

Use a different phone to download the Deco app and connect with the Decos?

The Deco box says I can get "it up and running in minutes." What did I do wrong? Is there any chance I can blame my buggy Pixel 6 Pro or am I the weakest link here?

Options
23 Reply
Re:Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?
2022-01-12 13:45:34

@JasperCat 

In regard to Deco X20 lights:

Deco X20 devices have LED indicator lights that cast a glow from underneath. When it’s solid yellow, the system is starting up, followed by a pulsing blue light to show it is ready to be set up. When the light is green, everything is OK, but if it blinks red, the device has lost its Internet connection. 

Which means, your Main Deco and Satellite Deco should have green LED lights after successful setup.

I can give you the steps on how to set up Deco mesh with ease (or, at least, it'll be easier than how you did it) and with high probability of success on first try, but for that, I would need to know the current state of your Deco mesh:

1. Do you see all Deco nodes in Deco app or have you deleted them from Deco app?

2. If Deco nodes are in Deco app, do they all report as online?

Options
Re:Same Internet Name and Password for Deco Mesh Network as Orginal Network, Bad?
2022-01-12 16:43:48 - last edited 2022-01-12 16:57:36

When you turn on bridge mode on your ISP router what it does is (at least on all ISPs routers that allow this) is to define a specific port (usually port 4) as WAN (internet) port (direct internet to this port, a bypass outside of the router network), giving you 2 external (internet) IPs: one to your ISP router, another that you can use (with your Deco). Usually a restart of the ISP router is needed for this to happen.
When you connect your main Deco to this particular bridged port, your deco bypasses the ISP network and gets a WAN port.

Nothing else changes on your ISP router, so your ISP router network and wifi will stay available if the later is not specifically turned off.

So you need to be sure to plug your main Deco to this particular bridged port, any other port will connect your Deco to the ISP network.

And if you want to setup your Deco network using the same network name (SSID) and same user/password, you need to turn off your ISP wifi before setting up the Deco network, otherwise they will clash and your clients (and Deco satellites when setting them up) might connect to the wrong ISP network instead and cause havoc, use your mobile connection instead for the setup.

And remmember that if, at any time, somebody turns the ISP wifi on, you will get havoc again. You need to know well what your are doing, so my suggestion is to create a diferent network name (SSID) on the Deco.

Options
2022-01-12 18:42:09

@Alexandre. 

I have deleted the Deco App.

Options
2022-01-12 20:27:22 - last edited 2022-01-12 20:28:55

@JasperCat 

If you haven't returned Deco units and want to try again, you will need to install Deco app. You can do that on same or different smartphone, but you must login to the app with same email address/password you used for the first try. Your Deco nodes do belong to Deco mesh you've created, and that Deco mesh is managed by Deco app under that email address you used first time.

Then, you can answer my two questions about current state of your Deco mesh, and afterwards I can provide next steps.

Options
2022-01-12 21:03:22
Excellent. Thank you!! I will reinstall the app and login with my same credentials as when I tried the first time and let you know.
Options
2022-01-13 00:59:04

@Alexandre. The app is wiped clean of my previous set-up.  It doesn't see anything and prompts to start the set-up the again.

Options
2022-01-13 01:12:50

@VCL 

My Xfinity combo modem/router has 4 Ethernet ports. How am I supposed to know which one will work? They are labeled 1 and 2 --one row for "phone symbol" and one row for "computers symbol".

I saw a video on YouTube by a guy saying that Comcast never told him that there is in fact, only one port, he could use when placing the combo modem/router into bridge mode. I'm assuming the lower left one...?? Which is similar to what I saw referenced in the YouTube. video.

If I knew how to do a trace route command and had a computer with an Ethernet connect, would that be the only way I could tell if it's a true bridge?

Options
2022-01-13 01:51:52

JasperCat wrote

@Alexandre. The app is wiped clean of my previous set-up.  It doesn't see anything and prompts to start the set-up the again.

@JasperCat 

Try set up again. This time, when asked, select different SSID than you have on your home WiFi network. It is important. Later, there will be step to transfer Deco mesh to your original SSID, but now you should have different SSID on Deco WiFi so that your home WiFi you now have from Xfinity stays undisturbed.

For setup:

• Do nothing with your Xfinity router
  • Connect Deco unit to Xfinity router Ethernet LAN port by Ethernet cable
  • Power it on, proceed through setup and add that Deco unit to Deco mesh as Main Deco
  • If that works - continue with adding two remaining Deco units, these do not have to be connected by Ethernet cable, but have them near Main Deco during setup

If you have completed that successfully, you should see three Deco units in your Deco app, all report online and every Deco unit has green LED. Power them off. That will be all for now.

Options
2022-01-13 01:58:47

@Alexandre. 

Oh wow. So DON'T but the Xfinity modem/router into bridge mode? Won't the two routers fight?

Options
2022-01-13 02:08:58

JasperCat wrote

@Alexandre. 

Oh wow. So DON'T but the Xfinity modem/router into bridge mode? Won't the two routers fight?

@JasperCat 

Do not put Xfinity into bridge mode.

I am guiding you through the path where you do not destroy your current WiFi network before Deco mesh replacement is ready to take over. Which means, at any step if something is not working with Deco you still have your WiFi running.

Also, if you decided to give up on Deco for some reason, during that process, you wouldn't need to call your ISP tech support to get your Internet back.

Yes, two WiFi routers in close proximity from each other is not good, but for a short while it is not very bad either. One of the reasons I told you to power off all three Deco after you have set them up with different SSID - is to reduce the time when Deco WiFi and Xfinity WiFi create interference with each other.

Also, having different SSID for Deco will ensure no WiFi device will connect to Deco mesh until that mesh setup is complete.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3113

Replies: 23

Related Articles