Coverage for TP-Link EAP615-Wall

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-13 21:41:45
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: latest

I am looking at replacing my old APs (non-Omada)

I would like to go wifi 6.

I read somewhere that the EAP615 did not have very good coverage....  Hoever not much detail was given.

I have a wood fame house, maybe 3 x 40 feet.  2 floors I need coverage on.  

Looking at the 615 for my office (2dn floor, front left corner

Bedroom (2nd floor, back right corner

Living room middle of room, on wall at front of house,

Downstairs the kitchen, dininng room, and sun room have a wall beteen them and lviing room

Upstaars the master betroom and sewin room and batroom have  a wall betwween them and AP

Any thoughts?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Coverage for TP-Link EAP615-Wall
2022-01-13 21:50:35

@jwaltrip 

Honestly, if you want to cover more than one room don't be considering the WALL versions... instead stick with the EAP610 / 620 or 660 and mount it on the ceiling as close to centre as you can get.

The WALL editions are designed for a single room AP, the best scenario is a hotel room.   It will only really cover that one room and due to its smaller size, less antenna and spread pattern (one direction, into one room) it will likely not give you the coverage you are after.

The standard ceiling mounted APs however will broadcast in a larger, circle direction so can penetrate walls around, and floors below where it is mounted.  I generally mount one of these per floor as close to centre as possible

If you are timber-framed as you say, then mounting one of these on the top floor ceiling centre may well be all you need to cover the house (say 1200 sqft ).  If mounting at the side wall of a property (not central) consider wall mounting high up on ground floor, this will then broadcast out over all floors.

Options
2022-01-13 22:21:38

So you think one 610 would probs cover the whole house?

It is a big ugly thing...  but no uglier I guess thatn AC1700 AP with 3 antenna sicking up.

Options
2022-01-14 22:59:04

@jwaltrip 

Without knowing the sq ft of your property, its hard to say for sure but definitely the standard EAP range is a better choice for you!   

In terms of size, totally agree the 6xx series are not the prettiest of devices, hopefully that is something they will address in a v2 model at some future date..    Just thinking out loud here, do you really need a WiFi6 AP?   Would something like the cheap and much prettier EAP225/245 suit your needs?

There really is only an advantage to WiFi6 when you have devices that can support it, if your clients are mixed or WiFi5 it wont be any benefit to go for the 6xx APs.   If you can get away with a EAP245 on WiFi5 for a year or two then you could possibly upgrade then?  They may have a better looking/smaller v2 out and prices would be cheaper for you

Options
2022-01-24 20:29:14

@Philbert thanks for the reply.

I found some info on coverage...

and went ahead and pulled the trtigger.

Am finding the 610 covers the whole house.  bothe floors.

I will probably add a 615 to the living room to ensure the best signal there (wife uses her laptop there, and smart TV is there.

Options
2022-01-25 17:32:57

@jwaltrip 

Happy days, glad it worked out for you!   Yeah the coverage on the EAPs is generally good, comparing them to the standard 'home wifi router' doesnt do it justice.

Need anything else don't be afraid to ask... enjoy!

Options