Connecting two routers via LAN ports?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-14 11:53:49 - last edited 2022-01-17 09:11:35
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hello, TP-link community,

I have recently bought this router and I am very happy with it, I want to do one more thing and that is to add another router on the 2nd floor.

I have an ethernet cable running to the 2nd floor and I was wondering if I can connect the second one with this one and then have the same wifi network so the devices can switch between them and if there would be any trade-offs regarding speed etc. I have a couple of devices on the 2nd floor that I would like to connect to the LAN ports (the TV box, that does not support a wireless connection, and a PC).

What is the best way to do this? Do you have any recommendations on the second router? Should I buy the same one?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting two routers via LAN ports?-Solution
2022-01-14 18:32:18 - last edited 2022-01-17 09:11:35

@brixi 

The choice of the 2-nd router depends on your particular needs (Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 6, etc.)

You could use any wireless router which can be set to work in AP mode.

If you don't need a wireless network on the 2-nd floor then you can put a plain gigabit ethernet switch instead.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting two routers via LAN ports?-Solution
2022-01-14 18:32:18 - last edited 2022-01-17 09:11:35

@brixi 

The choice of the 2-nd router depends on your particular needs (Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 6, etc.)

You could use any wireless router which can be set to work in AP mode.

If you don't need a wireless network on the 2-nd floor then you can put a plain gigabit ethernet switch instead.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting two routers via LAN ports?
2022-01-14 18:36:17

@terziyski do you have any recommendations or favorites (let's say Wi-Fi 6), like a nice combo 😊

Options
Re:Connecting two routers via LAN ports?
2022-01-14 22:50:50

@brixi 

In the end - it's your choice. I've used many routers in AP mode - like WR741N, WR841N, Archer C6, Archer C64, Archer AX20.

TBH I am satisfied with most of them with minor exceptions.

You can even buy another AX73, but it's not worth it, because many of the router feature are not available in AP mode.

I would advise when you choose the 2-nd router (if AX series) to select one that has OneMesh On/Off switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 3

Related Articles