Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-17 14:36:35
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My Requirement:

Laptop / Desktop connected to WiFi Router should not be able to Ping the Computers / Laptop connected over a Wired LAN.

Laptop / Desktop connected to WiFi Router should not be able to Access the Shared Data over a Wired LAN

Tried using TP Link Archer C6

Fiber Internet ISP ONU --> Thorugh Ethernet Cable --> Internet Port of TP Link Archer C6

Local IP of ONU: 192.168.1.1

Desktop Computer 1 --> Ethernet --> Ethernet LAN port of TP Link Archer C6

Desktop 1 Local IP: 192.168.1.2

Desktop Computer 2 --> Ethernet --> Ethernet LAN port of TP Link Archer C6

Desktop 2 Local IP: 192.168.1.3

Laptop via WiFi (Main WiFi and Not Guest WiFi) to TP Link Archer C6.

TP Link Local IP: 10.0.0.1

Laptop Local IP: 10.0.0.2

HDD data of Desktop Computer 1 is shared within LAN.

AP Isolation Feature: Enabled.

But whatever Data of Desktop 1 is shared within LAN (Local Ethernet Wired Network) can be accessed through Laptop via WiFi (Wireless), though AP Isolation Feature: Enabled.

I have also checked some discussions, for e.g. WIFI AP Isolation

My Queries: 

Whether such “interface grouping / VLAN” settings available on TP Link Archer C6?

If no, in which TP Link Router such type of settings or features are available?

I am from India. Please specify Dual Band Routers with Gigabit Ethernet Ports (Not a Fast Ethernet Port)

Can you recommend any Managed Switches (Maximum 8 Ports for Basic Home Office Usage)?

Do you provide step by step instructions for creating VLAN using these Managed Switches?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices
2022-01-17 20:06:47

@G_Amogh 

If you want to use VLANs you should use some of the business grade routers.

In home grade routers regular Wi-Fi network is bridged with router LAN ports and you won't be able to achieve isolation.

To isolate wireless users from your ethernet connected users with Archer C6 you should use the Guest Wi-Fi for wireless clients:

AP Isolation is to restrict wireless users to communicate with each other but still acces the Internet and LAN.

Bare in mind that AP isolation works within wireless bands, not between wireless bands.

Good 8 port gigabit switch which supports VLANs is TL-SG108E.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices
2022-01-18 08:09:51

@terziyski 

Thank you for your response.

I have checked details on TP Link Website about “TP Link TL-SG108E V6”

I have also checked FAQ

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/788/

Step A

ISP Router’s WiFi Function will be Disabled. It’s WiFi will not be used.

ISP WiFi Router  -- To -- > Port 1 of TP Link TL-SG108E V6

Step B

Ethernet Connected Computers are Connected to Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4 of TP Link TL-SG108E V6

Computer 1  -- > Port 2 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Computer 2 -- > Port 3 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Computer 3 --> Port 4 (of TP Link TL-SG108E V6)

Step C

Separate WiFi Router (TP Link Archer C6 or something Normal WiFi Router) is attached to Port 5.

Step D

Keep port 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in VLAN 1. (By default, all ports belong to VLAN 1.)

Create VLAN 2. Add port 1, 2, 3 and 4 to VLAN 2.

Create VLAN 3. Add port 1 and 5 to VLAN 3.

My understanding – and - Expectation

The Computers / Laptops connected to WiFi Router at Port 5, will be able to Access Internet.

But Computers / Laptop connected to WiFi Router at Port 5, will not be able to communicate with ‘Wired Ethernet Connected Computers” at Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4.

Similarly, ‘Wired Ethernet Connected Computers” at Port 2, Port 3 and Port 4. will not be able to communicate with Computers / Laptop connected to WiFi Router at Port 5

Whether my Understanding is Correct?

Please Advise

Whether I can get the necessary results from TP Link TL-SG108E V6? Because it is a Managed Switch?

Edited Diagram by me as per requirement of “Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices”

802 1Q VLAN.jpg

Please advise whether this diagram is correct.

Options
2022-01-18 12:51:19 - last edited 2022-01-18 12:51:58

@G_Amogh 

It looks good to me - you may give it a go.

Seems like 5 port switch will suffice as well - you might take a look at this one TL-SG105E.

But if you need to expand your network in the future the 8-port one would be the better choice.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-18 15:04:52

@terziyski 

Thank you for your Response.

Whether this process of VLAN1, VLAN2 and VLAN 3 in TL-SG108E shall solve the requirement of "Complete Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices."

I am just confirming again, because I have not yet purchased TL-SG108E.

Thanks.

Options
2022-01-18 17:58:41

@G_Amogh 

Yes, as it is stated in the guide you've used - https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/788/:

" VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) is a technology that can solve broadcasting issues. A LAN can be divided into several VLANs logically, and only the hosts in a same VLAN can communicate with each other. "

This should cover your requirement:

" Complete Isolation between WiFi connected devices and Ethernet Wired Network connected Devices. "

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1463

Replies: 5

Related Articles