Archer 5400 v1 abandoned

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer 5400 v1 abandoned

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer 5400 v1 abandoned
Archer 5400 v1 abandoned
2022-01-17 21:19:24
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Does anyone know why TP-Link abandoned version 1 of the Archer 5400? Version 2 is still being updated, but it's been over 4 years since version 1 has gotten one, which among other things is a major security issue. My v1 is slowing down to a crawl (single-digit transfer speeds) on a daily basis, requiring a restart every time. I'm looking at new routers, but I'm not going to go with TP-Link again if they abandon their products for no reason. If the v1 has some unfixable flaw, that's one thing. But I very much doubt that's the case.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer 5400 v1 abandoned
2022-01-17 23:39:45 - last edited 2022-01-18 00:53:24

@shauncore 

That's pretty much the lifecycle of a home router devcie 4 - 5 years (even less depending on the model):

When a device is with EoL status (End-of-Life) there are no more FW updates and if you're concerned about your network security better replace it with another one with up to date FW.

What I would do is to use the old router in AP mode despite its outdated FW - if its HW is fine then nothing to worry about.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-18 00:57:36

@terziyski v1 was released in 2016 and abandoned in 2017, so they supported it for one year. That's NOT normal. v2 was released in 2017 and is still getting updates.

Options
2022-01-18 02:58:47

@shauncore 

I wouldn't know what's the marketing decision behind this, but as you suggested there might be some reason for this.

Although I've seen devices that have only initial FW release for their entire lifecycle.

When choosing your next router it might be a good idea to do some extensive research, read a feedbacks in forums to be sure that you've made the right choice.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 460

Replies: 3

Related Articles