On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-19 13:54:50 - last edited 2022-01-19 17:01:04
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.2 v0093.0

I have a home network setup as follows:

The Archer C50 is my primary router, so to speak: It connects to the internet line provided by my ISP, and besides its WiFi network, it also connects to two other devices through LAN cables: One of the devices is a PC, the other is another router (not by TP-LINK). This other router receives the signal through the WAN port and then creates an entirely separate WiFi network. I have set up the routers so that the Archer C50 is at 192.168.0.1. and the secondary router at 192.168.1.1.

As expected, the PC computer (connected to the Archer C50 via a LAN cable) can access the Archer admin page but not the secondary router admin page. However, what troubles me is that devices connected to the WiFi network of the secondary router can access, besides the admin page of this router, also the Archer C50.

It puzzles me because I distinctly recall an earlier point in time, soon after I'd set up the networks, that this wasn't possible. I'm not sure what setting I've fumbled with, I've tried going through everything, but I just can't find what I need to do to so that devices connected to the secondary router cannot access the Archer C50 admin page.

Could someone help me?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?-Solution
2022-01-19 15:16:18 - last edited 2022-01-19 17:01:04

@DigitalSunflow 

There's no other mechanism than that you already found in System Tools => Administrator settings (this location depends on your FW release).

Since the C50 is the default gateway for your secondary router (on its WAN Interface) you can't restrict its clients to access C50 web management interface.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?
2022-01-19 14:31:20

@DigitalSunflow 

If you want to restrict local management access of C50 you can do that from here:

Thus only the device with the MAC address configured can make administrative changes to the C50.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?
2022-01-19 14:37:33 - last edited 2022-01-19 15:02:16

@terziyski 

Thanks for the answer, but this doesn't match my screen. I only have "Basic Security" and "Advanced Security" under "Security", no "Local Management".

Edit: I actually found the setting in System Tools > Administrator. But this isn't what I want, as it allows me to only set 1 device that can access the Admin page. There must be a way to isolate devices from one another, so that devices connected to the secondary router can't access the Archer, is that not the case?

Options
Re:On an Archer C50, how Can I Stop Some of the Devices from Connecting to the Admin Page?-Solution
2022-01-19 15:16:18 - last edited 2022-01-19 17:01:04

@DigitalSunflow 

There's no other mechanism than that you already found in System Tools => Administrator settings (this location depends on your FW release).

Since the C50 is the default gateway for your secondary router (on its WAN Interface) you can't restrict its clients to access C50 web management interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-19 15:32:39 - last edited 2022-01-19 15:32:57

@terziyski 

Thanks for the suggestions. As I said, I distinctly recall that there was a point in time I could not access the Archer Admin Page from devices connected to the secondary router's WiFi. I'll try to come up with something. Thanks again

Options
2022-01-19 15:45:33

@DigitalSunflow 

If the routers were connected the other way round (C50 as a secondary router) then restricting remote access from the same menu will prevent other router's clients to access C50 WebGUI.

But in your current topology If you have had any setting releated to restricting C50 WebGUI access  it could be something on your secondary router and it would be beneficial to find it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 550

Replies: 5